could I fit in a couple more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon that has been cycled since last june. I currently have fish that will equal 48" when grown. Low PH I'm on a cistern so it's rain water. I keep the tank at 74 degrees. I have glow light and Neon tetras, ottos, kuli, a borneo sucker, a male betta and a irredescent catfish which is heading for a new home.

My lfs has done a cruel thing and sent me two coupons buy one get another at the same or lower price free. Hit me where I'm vunerable people. Fish and a sale both. See my problem. Will I be able to fit them in? And what kind?

I have a chunk of driftwood several caves and a few live plants. 2 filters one rated at 30 gallon and the other at 40. A powerhead pointing from center to one end to keep a current at that end for my borneo. The rest of the tank is pretty calm. 2 Bubble stones and a curtain. Everyone is getting along and I really want to keep it that way.

So what would fit? Not pick on the inmates? Not eat my plants? Hanging out at the top of the tank would be nice as well as some color. Any ideas?

So what would

depending on the size of the catfish and when he'll be heading for another home, what about a pair of german blue rams? Or how about a pair of angels?

Thank you for the suggestions. I know I'm picky but I made a few mistakes starting out and don't want my innocent fish to suffer because of my oh-ohs I already considered the rams and decided no. They like the tank a lot warmer and do nibble on plants occasionally. I have a friend who has Angels and his are bad at fin nipping. I don't think that would be a good idea with the betta in there.

What about Bolivian rams? They are hardier than blue rams. They are not as colorful as the blues but they have tons of personality. I have mine in planted tanks and they don't bother plants at all. They also spend most of their time in the middle and bottom levels of the tank so I'm sure they would leave your betta alone.

BTW neons, glowlights, and bettas prefer a warmer tank, not sure about the others. :mrgreen:

I like the idea of rams, too, but I would encourage you to raise your water temp about 4 degrees for optimum growth and health of your tropicals.

Tank Girl thought I'd let you know I did raise the temp to 75. I'm just a little concerned about the Borneo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom