Could I get assistance on my filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's the deal: I just got a 58 gallon tank, and it came with the stand, hood, PC lights, 400watt MH, and much more. Right now, I am repainting the hood and stand, and once that's all dry, I hope to get the tank setup as soon as possible. The tank is in my garage with all the water and substrate so that I won't need to do a cycle on this tank.

I was wondering how I should go about the filtration on this with using as much of my current equipment as possible. Here's what I have now:
Fluval 403 cannister filter
5 powerheads
QuietOne 400 water pump
Squid Wavemaker
empty 10 gallon tank

There isn't much room under the stand to put a tank any larger than the 10gallon. Now that I think about it, the 10 gallon tank will be too small to use as a sump anyway.

What if I did this:
Using the surface skimmer shown in the pic below as the intake to the cannister filter, and then the output of the cannister filter would be hooked up to my SQUID wavemaker, and split into two returns.
Then, I would just use a good hang-on back skimmer.

Is there anything wrong with using that setup?

Attachments

• p_21212_28576p_112.jpg
    p_21212_28576p_112.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what the gph on the fluval is, and I don't know how much backpressure the SQUID will create. What if I use only the cannister filter, but have the pump on it turned off? Then, I could plumb the Quiet One in line with it, and use the QO pump for more gph.

The SCWD does create back pressure each time it switches sides which is fine for most pumps but I know most canisters do not tolerate back pressure very well (could leak). I’m not really sure why you would want to plumb the pump together with the canister, I think it would still create back pressure if hooked up to the SCWD.

I have used the surface skimmers in the past when I had my brackish tank and they do work well IME.

Back
Top Bottom