Could this be ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dannie9573

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I’m hoping someone can help me determine if my German ram has ICH. I originally had my German ram and two Cory’s in a 10 gallon tank. I just recently moved up to a 29 gallon a little over a week ago and got a clown pleco and 6 neons. I noticed there was a lot of waste floating around even only after a week and a half so I did a 15% water change and took out as much as I could. Now my water is a little cloudy (I expected from the water change) and my ram has 3 tiny white dots on his forehead. He’s the only one who has them, but if it’s ICH I heard you still have to treat the entire tank. Do you guys think he has ICH? And should I treat my entire tank?

Attachments

• 320676FE-4A4C-4710-8D4A-60CA80A285C4.jpg
    320676FE-4A4C-4710-8D4A-60CA80A285C4.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 74A33601-8AAB-435E-8312-01F37A708ADA.jpg
    74A33601-8AAB-435E-8312-01F37A708ADA.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 8FBD414A-97E4-459F-87EE-B12139FBF880.jpg
    8FBD414A-97E4-459F-87EE-B12139FBF880.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 26
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it very well could be based on what you have said. I've found sometimes, if you catch ICH early enough by keeping water quality very good you don't need to treat. BUT (and this is a big but) I've only managed it if I only see a few dots like this and you should be prepared to need to treat it.

Stress and water quality are the biggest factors in fish getting diseases like ICH. You've just moved them, added more fish, and you said the water was visibly dirty. All of these things can trigger ICH. What are your water parameters? Was the tank fully cycled before moving the fish?

As a precaution I would step up my water changes and see if there's a place to set up a hospital tank. You can treat the whole tank but as you have scaleless fish that will limit your treatment options so having a hospital tank to separate if needed would be smart.

The tank is newer so I believe it is still cycling. Although, I did test with the 5 in 1 test kit and it showed nitrite and nitrate levels to be 0, pH is between 7.0-7.5, carbohydrate hardness around 40ppm and general hardness around 30ppm

I also think water quality is the issue Dannie9573

“I noticed there was a lot of waste floating around even only after a week and a half so I did a 15% water change and took out as much as I could. Now my water is a little cloudy” Does this mean your normal water change routine is longer than a week? How much water do you change and how often? Removing 15% implies you don’t do large water changes on a weekly basis?

I don’t what you to think I am picking on you Dannie9573 .As it might appear we are all ganging up on you .
I actually think you might have a much more serious problem than ich with this cichlid.
The problem also comes from poor water quality.
Hole in the head disease looks just like “ 3 tiny white dots on the forehead “ in the early stages. HITH disease is pretty serious if left unchecked.
I hope you realise I am only trying to help Dannie9573?

Would you recommend more frequent and bigger water changes? I was trying to leave it be and cycle since it’s a fairly newer tank. Also is there a way I can prevent or treat for HITH early on so it does not get any worse?

In between water changes, here is some very useful material to check out

Aquarium basics
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Fish in cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Keeping the fish safe is more important than worrying how much the BB is or isn't growing. BB will continue to grow and it might be a bit more slowly than if in a fishless cycle.

Really clean water will benefit your fish.

This fish / GBR is a type which is better placed into the tank after the tank is stable and matured, as they can be sensitive to poor water quality. It isn't a first choice for a brand new tank.

It is often that information from the lfs is not beneficial to the life of the fish. Very often because the employees do not know, and do not understand how the nitrification cycle really works. The nitrification cycle information is one of the top pieces of information you need to be successful with your tank.

Although you have 0 NitrItes and Nitrates which is just fine, ammonia can cause stress, as well as fluctuating water quality which happens when doing a fish in cycle of a tank.

Definitely do not feel like the information is being put out there to be mean. Personally I want you to have way more information than you need so you can make solid decisions and have a happy tank you love. Losing fish is sad and hard and expensive and makes the fish hobby not very enjoyable.

Keeping happy fish in the right conditions and in a smoothly running tank is fun very enjoyable.

So read all you can and do plenty of testing and water changes. You will hopefully save this fish, and keep your tank mates safe during the fish in cycle!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom