Could this be turned to saltwater easily?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 6 gallon bowfront aquarium that is currently housing 2 guppies haha a couple recently died of age. I have a canopy for it but I think it would be easier to get a light for it without the hood on it. I know i will need a protein skimmer but now it has a marineland penguin 125 HOB filter. Can I find a fairly cheap but good light for this tank?

Attachments

• image-3784589674.jpg
    image-3784589674.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 101
You could use this setup however it does seem a little dated. I haven't seen a tank in that particular shape in a while. With a 6 gallon tank you actually do not need a protien skimmer. Regular water changes are all that you'll need provided you put in plenty of live rock.

As far as lighting goes you should look into some of the LED lighting systems Beamworks manufactures. Check on eBay. Seems like I remember a small 9 bulb, 18 watt fixture that might work perfect for your setup. I'll post a link if I'm able to find it.

PS - you might consider moving this thread over to the nano reef section. There a lot of good people of there who would also be willing to chime in with suggestions.

Huffers said:
You could use this setup however it does seem a little dated. I haven't seen a tank in that particular shape in a while. With a 6 gallon tank you actually do not need a protien skimmer. Regular water changes are all that you'll need provided you put in plenty of live rock.

As far as lighting goes you should look into some of the LED lighting systems Beamworks manufactures. Check on eBay. Seems like I remember a small 9 bulb, 18 watt fixture that might work perfect for your setup. I'll post a link if I'm able to find it.

PS - you might consider moving this thread over to the nano reef section. There a lot of good people of there who would also be willing to chime in with suggestions.

So even if i wanted to do corals I wouldn't need a protein skimmer? There's an led light that has arms that connect onto the back of tanks(not sure how or if it would work on this tank) but it is 109 dollars. Not sure on wattage I didn't really look at it.
But I guess my biggest question is, could I keep a fish in here? Either a purple firefish with a couple shrimp and some corals or a watchman goby with a pistol shrimp and maybe one other shrimp and some corals?
I don't see how to move the thread? Do I need to do that on the full site? I'm on the app on my phone

Sure you could turn that in SW tank!! If it's your first tank, you'll have a challenge ahead of you cuz it'll be tough to keep your water parameters good in such a small tank. But if you're up for the challenge, you could have a nano fish or two and maybe a sexy shrimp or two in there. Catalina gobies are really colorful and small, there are a couple other really small gobies. Research nano fish. Do a lot of research into nano SW tanks, then decide if it's for you!! Good luck!!

Beengirl said:
Sure you could turn that in SW tank!! If it's your first tank, you'll have a challenge ahead of you cuz it'll be tough to keep your water parameters good in such a small tank. But if you're up for the challenge, you could have a nano fish or two and maybe a sexy shrimp or two in there. Catalina gobies are really colorful and small, there are a couple other really small gobies. Research nano fish. Do a lot of research into nano SW tanks, then decide if it's for you!! Good luck!!

I know what I'm getting into ;) I have a 75 gallon and a 20 gallon reef! But I know this will be harder but alot cheaper!!
But y'all don't think I will need a protein skimmer?

What brand was it? I have a BioCube protein slimmer on my 20 and it works great!

Does anybody know of any good lights to put on this new tank?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom