couple of pics of 55g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is a few pics of my 55g planted tank I started about 2 months ago. My lighting is a 48" Current usa nova extreme fixture 2x54w, aquaclear 110 hob filter. The subtrate is fine pebbles mixed with Laterite. I don't use Co2. I do supplement with formula F (iron) and formula K (potassium) made by Aquarium landscapes. Tell what you think?

Attachments

• jan 2009 011.jpg
    jan 2009 011.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 124
  • jan 2009 012.jpg
    jan 2009 012.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 88
  • jan 2009 015.jpg
    jan 2009 015.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 77
  • jan 2009 016.jpg
    jan 2009 016.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 100
Very pretty! Do you use live plants...it's kinda hard to tell with the lighting. Did you paint the back of the tank black or use posterboard (like me)?? Very nice, regardless! I am starting to toy with the idea of upgrading my 29g for something bigger (like a 55).

sorry crappy pics. there all live plants thanks
the back is regular aquarium backround in gloss black

It will take a while to fill in without co2 but once it does it will be awesome!

Wow looks pretty good, especially with no co2. Although I believe to see your background sagging? I would really suggest you either paint it or oil stick it.. you wont believe the difference it makes rather from just tapeing the standard gloss background up.

davE

I'm thinking maybe when the weather gets warmer, I'll paint the background. I'm pretty excited one of my plants flowered, here's a few pics, and thanks for all the compliments.

Attachments

• feb 2009 001.jpg
    feb 2009 001.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 60
  • feb 2009 006.jpg
    feb 2009 006.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 74
  • feb 2009 005.jpg
    feb 2009 005.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 62
  • feb 2009 004.jpg
    feb 2009 004.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 59
This is very nice looking - I was looking for an answer to a lighting question, perhaps you/anyone else can help.

I have the standard all-glass tops and lights for a 55g community, 2x24" w/18" 15W Tropic Sun bulbs, and I have live plants also, 3 swords, vallisneria, anacharis, cabomba, wisteria. I've heard these can make it in low light levels but I think I should probably upgrade my lighting if I want these to look nice. I was thinking something DIY, any suggestions?

I know I can get a standard striplight at Home Depot cheap, and they have bulbs that will do the job too, but it comes down to actually installing it on the tank, do would I go about that?

Or would it just be better to get lighting made for an aquarium?

This is very nice looking - I was looking for an answer to a lighting question, perhaps you/anyone else can help.

I have the standard all-glass tops and lights for a 55g community, 2x24" w/18" 15W Tropic Sun bulbs, and I have live plants also, 3 swords, vallisneria, anacharis, cabomba, wisteria. I've heard these can make it in low light levels but I think I should probably upgrade my lighting if I want these to look nice. I was thinking something DIY, any suggestions?

I know I can get a standard striplight at Home Depot cheap, and they have bulbs that will do the job too, but it comes down to actually installing it on the tank, do would I go about that?

Or would it just be better to get lighting made for an aquarium?

you can easily get some metal rebar or some other type of metal pole to bend into shape with some u-clamps attached to the stand or wall or w.e to create a hanging DIY light setup with the strip lights found at your local hardware store. Or get a couple hooks screwed into the ceiling and some chain to get the light fixture to your desired height. Theres alot of different ways to go about it. You also can easily find a really nice light setup for your 55g online all depends on how much your willing to spend.

-davE

Well, I want to spend as little as possible, because of budgetary concerns. I want something that sits on top of the tank, it's an oak trim tank & stand, the current light is black (all-glass kit). What I was trying to work around is the fact that striplights, een with reflectors, are basically hanging or surface mounted shop lights. How would I convert this to a top-of-the-tank fixture?

I supposed I could manufacture a plexiglass type of stand, similar to the one in the pics in the original post. Any other ideas?

Oh, so beautiful, this my first time to see flower from a home aquarium.
Thanks for the pictures.

thanks, that plant has been flowering like crazy. It's let out about 9 flowers

Back
Top Bottom