Covering filter intake with pantyhose, question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after finding shrimp in my filter a few days ago, I covered my intake with pantyhose to avoid sucking up any other shrimp babies.

I started thinking, by doing this am I disrupting the filtration? Like the stuff that's supposed to be getting sucked up, will it still makes its way inside the filter through the pantyhose?

Was this a bad idea?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wondered the same but it's been fine. It's just that some particles stick to the pantyhose instead. So you have to clean it too, which is to be expected.

When I did that to my filter it really slowed down the flow.

I've seen this done but instead of placing the hosiery directly onto the filter intake, it was stretched over a flat sided clear plastic water bottle (Fiji brand). Squares or rectangles were cut out of the flat sides and the spout was cut so that it provided a snug fit for the filter intake. The idea is to increase the surface area to compensate for the restriction in flow from the hosiery.

I just took some filter sponge, cut a slit into it, and slid it over the intake. It's easy to clean, doesn't look huge and ugly, and doesn't restrict flow until it gets clogged.

Shrimp in the Filter

So after finding shrimp in my filter a few days ago, I covered my intake with pantyhose to avoid sucking up any other shrimp babies.

I started thinking, by doing this am I disrupting the filtration? Like the stuff that's supposed to be getting sucked up, will it still makes its way inside the filter through the pantyhose?

Was this a bad idea?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello phil...

I don't think you had a bad idea. Everything in the tank dissolves in the water and is removed through large, frequent water changes. So, there's no way to foul the tank water. You can simply check the filter daily when you look over the tank to check the fish and make sure all is running smoothly like every good tank keeper should. If the material covering the filter looks a little clogged, then clean it and put it back.

Pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom