Crab compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russian65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm starting a new reef tank, and was wondering if i could keep a pair of porcelain anemone crabs with a pair of emerald crabs, 10 dwarf red-legged hermits, and a bunch of assorted snails. I was also wondering if i could keep a pair of tomato clowns with an orange spotted goby, and if I could keep an anemone in this tank. This will all be in a 40gal. reef aquarium, with a 10gal sump, and a magnum 250 canister filter.

I know you can have emerald crabs with hermit crabs. The hermit crabs will kill a snail for the shell if it looks like it is the right size so keep that in mind.

The anemone you will have to have a well established tank with good lights.

Seems like alot of crabs for that size tank.I dont think there will be enough for them to scavage and feed from. You could maybe have the two pairs of crabs if you forget the hermits. JMO. As far as the clowns if they are a mated pair you`ll be OK but other than that it will be impossible. Tomato`s are a little on the mean side.

Well, the tank is already set up, the goby, emerald crabs, hermits, snails, and peppermint shrimp are already in quarantine, all that's left is to build a canopy to hold the lights, and to buy corals, anemone, and clowns(might get a breeding pair of true percs rather than the tomatos).

thanks for all the replies! I guess I won't get the porcelain crabs, since I'm planning on having multiple lights, so i'll probably have a bunch of algae, so i'll need an intense cleaning crew.

Back
Top Bottom