Crab ID in live rock PLEASE.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamiewalder75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there i have had my 50gal tank running for only 3-4 weeks now i just got a 7kg peice of rock and tonight a little hitchhiker decided to say hello. its a black crab with red eyes and a brownish orange colour on the inside of his legs, any info would be a blessing, is it safe to keep will he eat live stock ect. thank you for any answers.

Most crabs, like fish, are opportunists. If there is a fish that sleeps in a hole, the crab might block it in there and kill it, if the crab is large enough. Most crabs that come on liverock are not big enough to kill a fish. BUT, they do grow, and can pose a threat later if not now. I don't know the crab that you speak of, I am also not an expert. See if you can trap it and take a picture so it will be easier to ID.

Can you describe the claws? Are they pointed and what color are they?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/269294019_6ef67d9799.jpg?v=0im still wet behind the ears myself but thanks to all the great folks here at A i fdont fell like a rookie anymore lol but yea without a pic its almost imposible to tell what you have, i have an emerald crab but its a very light green almost tan, so color alone isnt really going to get you the answer your looking for...i found a crab that might fit it.. chek the link unfortunately i couldnt find any info on it..just a pic

Yes that's it

I recon that's the one, so if anyone wanted a pic check out that link, I'm still yet to find any info about it, tricky one by the looks of it. Thanks for that link mate.

no problem i couldnt find out much about it either, i think you should be ok with it though, by the look of it ints not a predator(by the blunt rounded claws) but almost all crabs are carnivorous so id keep an eye out for it, you could try baiting him with a small piece of shrimp to see if he takes it. thats how i caught my gorilla crab, fishing line and a piece of bacon lol i just hung it in my tank so that it was suspended and he came straight for it, took about an hr but i noticed him very quickly after i baited the t ank, he was just really cautious before taking the bait. try looking for it at night thats when i notice the majority of my little critters running around

Back
Top Bottom