crab ID, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -- I've got this crab that came along with the live rock for about a year -- he's grown quite nicely -- I've thought he was an emerald, but not sure with the coloring. Any ideas? In particular is it reef safe? I just got some of my first corals (zoos and xenia) and he went for it right away.

Any help?
Thanks.
Matt

Attachments

• 121_2187__small_.jpg
    121_2187__small_.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 98
Looks like a strawberry mythrax crab. Not sure why it would go for your corals. I had emeralds that would pick around the stalks and hide under them but never actually picked the corals.

I've got this crab that came along with the live rock for about a year --

Standard stone crab. I have one in my sump. He will eat anything he can get his claws on. :roll:

Get that sucker out of your tank and into your sump, if you don't have a sump then give him to someone who does. He will destroy your corals. 8O

You may be right justmy2cents. I don't have alot of experience with rock crabs. The claws look like they have the flat tips though indicative of an algae eating crab. :? Even an algae eating crab can become a nuisance as it grows though. When in doubt, remove it.

crab ID, please - follow up

Thanks for the ID. Attached is nother shot that shows where the already-evicted mantis got the better of him. Anyway, he's in QT right now (the tilted glass worked like a champ :)

It's too bad he's not compatible. The little bugger's got a ton of personality that my 2 year old loves. Is there any other crab-like-critter that is reef safe? The cleaner and fireshimp are fun, but not nearly as active. If/when I evict the crab, it would be nice to replace him with something else.

Any recommendations?
As usual, thanks for the sanity check.
Matt

Attachments

• crab_571.jpg
    crab_571.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 75
Looking at that picture it may not be a stone crab after all, Mine does not have hairy legs. :roll: Still not safe if it's eating at your corals.

Back
Top Bottom