Crab ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is this a gorilla crab?

We have been noticing this little guy in our tank, nipping on algae. The tank is new and just cycling.

If he is bad, any suggestions on how to remove him?

Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG5400.jpg
    CIMG5400.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 148
Can you isolate the rock he's in? Look up the "tilted glass crab trap". Google or whatever. You'll find it. Pros and cons. But hey, maybe fun to try while its still cycling and nothing else is in there.

it looks like a mithrax crab. all crabs are omnivores. none of them are truly reef safe. what are your plans with this tank? corals?

As for plans:
It is a 55 gallon tank. We are new to the hobby. We would love to have some corals, but are just going to try and take it one step at a time. We were thinking about hermit crabs and snails for cleanup. Green Chromis, Tangs, Blue Gudgeons, Gobies, Pjamma Cardinals are all considerations at this point.

As for trapping:
We are attempting to trap him with the tilted glass method, but have had no luck so far. Is there a specific food he would be more likely to go for. He tends no to come out of the rock and is very shy and retracts quickly. Any experience with the Aqua Medic Trap-Pest?

At this point just trying to capture and if deemed a danger, maybe move him over to our also cycling 10 gallon quarantine tank for now.

Thank you for the replies!

the tang wouldnt be suitable for a 55, it is recommended they be in a tank that is 6ft long at the least. i dont know about gudgeons but the rest sound fine

Yeah, honestly your livestock list does sound great except for the tang part. If you are dead set on keeping a tang in there though, my suggestion would be to go for a Kole Tang. I know a few people that have successfully kept those types in +55G tanks, and if anything, they would be the best candidates. Any other tangs and i'm afraid they would need tanks larger than 55G.

Just be careful as to how many fish you stock your tank with, and how quickly you stock it. You don't want to overstock your tank, too quickly for that matter, and then have disaster strike and loose some fish.

Thanks for the advise on the fish.

Regarding the crabs, I have now seen two of these guys and also another type that isn't harry - looks like a smooth black shell with red eyes (that I haven't been able to get a photo of). I can't believe I have so many crabs in my little tank!

I have been trying the trap made out of a plastic bottle with the top cut off and placed upside down in the bottom. I have had very limited success... I caught a tiny little crab of the same type and that is all so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom