Crab identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that has information on identifying native atlantic ocean crab species. When I go diving I keep seeing a shallow water crab (20-30 feet deep) that is maybe 3 inches wide with a black shell with yellow dots on it. I was hoping to find out whether or not such a crab is available for use in saltwater tanks and what sort of requirements they need. I would like to have a small saltwater tank with LR and LS that is based around a larger crab species with maybe a few smaller critters like snails and hermits (no fish).

Most all crabs will survive in a salt water tank, however I had very bad luck in the beginning realizing very soon that most crabs have no place in a reef tank. Unless very small they always knock everything over and move things around. As always water quality is important and acclimation from cold Atlantic water this time of year to 75-80 degree water in a saltwater tank can be very difficult.

I am looking at just LR and the crab, not corals or anything else, so if stuff gets knocked over it isn't a big deal. Plus I am also looking at keeping the tank on the cool side. It is fairly easy for me to keep the water temp down to around 70F (basement) so it is only a difference of 10 degrees which is much easier to manage (right now the water around here is about 60F at the shore). I was mostly concerned with the fact that this crab species might get to be much larger than 3 inches and that I have only ever seen younger crabs. I don't want to setup a 50 gallon crab only tank. I was hoping on keeping a much smaller tank than that.

Most Atlantic crabs will eventally reach a very good size, much too big for a home aquarium but you can always put them back in the ocean.

That's what I was thinking. I suppose I could go a with a nano snail tank. There are tons of those guys on the shore. Add a few hermits and it would be a little adventure tank trying to find all of the inhabitants. I just really like the inverts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom