Crab in 46 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I get some sort of crab for my 46 Gal? The pet store girl said I couldn't cuz they need a way to get out and breathe? Was not aware of that..hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe most crabs are brackish and do need an air supply, however, there is a species called the Thai micro crab that could live in a freshwater, completely submersed setup. They may be eaten, depending on the size of you fish.(they are called Thai MICRO crabs for a reason) I wouldn't expect to find find them at a fish store such as Petco, so you may have to order them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fiddler and red claw crabs all need the same environment, which is brackish water, shallow, and lots of land to go out and breathe on. Look into dwarf crayfish or shrimp, they are cool and I'm sure you could house a few.

Nils

Mandarin crabs are cool and are freshwater but spend most of their time on land.

Or panther crabs but they're big and you'd need large fish that wouldn't get eaten by it.

Back
Top Bottom