Crabs in the reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great little algae eaters and fun to watch when they eat. I am unaware of any incompatibilities. They have been fine with all of my corals. Only complaint is I don't see mine very often. They stay hidden a lot on the time, especially during day time lighting. Look for them under low lighting conditions.

callum15soccer said:
They have a record of eating zoas when there hungry or older

Yep ive had a few of them munch on zoa's.

If they do not have a steady food source then they will become opportunistic and will go for any free meal they can get. Generally the are reef-safe though.

I tried to introduce a emerald and he went straight for my gsp's. Probably wasn't fed at the LFS . I'm going to keep him in my sump for now and try to re introduce later with a full belly.

Basically all what was stated above is true about emeralds. I have one in my 55 reef without any issues. The issues start coming about when there isn't enough algae for them to eat, crabs are scavangers afterall. The biggest reason why mine doesn't nibble on my coral is because algae grows in my tank like a weed and it takes ro/di, GFO, and a fuge to keep it down to where it is now. I have a lawnmower blenny, coral beauty, and the emerald crab, several blue legged hermits, and tons of snails that consume what does grow while I'm at work.

Back
Top Bottom