Cracked 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willsFishTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I chipped my 10 gallon tank with a mug and I am wondering if I should replace it or leave it.

Here's a picture of the chip

image-2457277701.jpg

image-2066562148.jpg

image-1251332663.jpg

I had a very similar chip in one of my grandmother's tanks. It was a 5 gallon. I had noticed it was leaking, but had not noticed the chip right away. There was a leak in the silicone on the bottom of the tank. As I was replacing the silicone on that part, I noticed the chip. I poked at it a little to see if it was leaking, and it wasn't. However, the glass chip could've easily been removed. Since I was already siliconing anyway, I just repaired the chip. It makes me much more comfortable knowing that the chip is reinforced, If you have silicone, repair it. I found a small tube at my LFS for 9 dollars. I was a little disappointed in the price, but happy with the results. And it's always good to have aquarium silicone laying around, anyway.

So, I guess it's a matter of whether you're confident in the stability of your tank currently. If it;s not leaking and you aren't worried about it, I wouldn't bother. Just my opinion.

It's silicone for bathrooms but I'm sealing the chip the out side so I think it would be ok

Thats fine. Just wanted to clarify for anyone with the same problem reading this thread at some point.

Back
Top Bottom