Cracked the outer corner of my brand new empty tank! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, I don't know what you will gain from putting silicone on the outside of your tank. Do you just want to fill it in so it doesn't cut someone on accident? Silicone will not help with the structural integrity of the tank that the chip might have affected. That being said, it is such a small tank, I would not worry about structural integrity. I am sure with that little water volume pushing on the panes of glass, you will have no issues. If that were my tank, I would just put the chip towards the wall or something (unless it is completely out in the open) and call it a day.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. If you actually feel like fixing the chip, you can get a windshield repair kit from an automotive store and actually fill it in with the resin and you should be able to make it appear like it was never chipped.

I have a 20 long with a chip bigger than that and it hold just fine. You just have to be concerned about the inner silicone and if that's pristine I wouldn't worry. If it was a 40 or above then id worry

i've got a 55 gal, it was made in '96. it has a few of those same type of chips on the outer corner. i've had no issues at all, it even sat empty for like 3 years before i filled for my current tank, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom