Craigslist Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the midst of setting up a 210 gallon aquarium and I have heard of folks buying live rock from people off Craigslist. My question is this: should one worry about what chemicals the rock may have been exposed to? Copper? Antibiotics? etc??

Well yes of course you should. Make sure that you ask many questions like how many owners, meds, and check for pests. Best case scenario is to find some in a system with coral still living. For example someone that may be parting out and entire system.

Ever looked at live Aquaia live rocks? Or marco rock base rocks? You can seed base rocks with a few pounds of live and it will turn the base rock live in a couple months.

Ever looked at live Aquaia live rocks? Or marco rock base rocks? You can seed base rocks with a few pounds of live and it will turn the base rock live in a couple months.

Yes- this is my current plan. I'm thinking of going with app 150 lbs of "dry" and app 150 lbs of "Live" rock. Thanks again -

I usually only get rock from people that have had reef tanks. I have gotten several rocks with corals attached. Kenya tree and green star polyps are usually the 2 most common ones.

Hinds04 said:
Well yes of course you should. Make sure that you ask many questions like how many owners, meds, and check for pests. Best case scenario is to find some in a system with coral still living. For example someone that may be parting out and entire system.

+1. I got my LR out of a system that was running for over 5 years best thing I ever did, the guy was breaking down his system he had corals growin like weeds so I was confident no copper was introduced to his system. He lived right down the street so there was no die off. And my tank was fully cycled in about 2 weeks I think!

Back
Top Bottom