Crape Myrtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I use crape myrtle in my tank? I have baked it and boiled it several times.. But wondering if it is okay for my tank and my fish?

My tank: :fish1: :fish2:
10 gal, 4 guppies, 7 ghost shrimp (2 have eggs), 20+ snails

20+ snails is WAY too many, but the eggs fell in the water after 4 days above the water (the tank water was at like 85 degrees, but now is 72) and they still hatched! D: I am putting babies in a pool. (old (30+ yrs) in ground pool that now has fish, crayfish, snakes and turtles) The snails probably died though :/

:thanks: for reading!

I've got a crepe myrtle in my yard. I've never thought of using it, but then again I don't have any large dried pieces of it. If yours is the same as mine, Lagerstroemia indica, then it should be fine in your tank, just make sure it is not green wood you are putting in your tank. I don't believe it is a true hardwood, but is not resinous or odorous and actually has pretty decent rot resistance.

Okay.

I have read that 'green wood' is bad to use because of sap. But the only green part of the wood is one of the layers in the bark. Is it still okay to use?

Back
Top Bottom