Crawfish issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so my crawfish has been hiding for about a week now in my new tank but when I first put him in there he loved it. So last night I took it upon myself to get him outta the hiding spot so when he came out he came out upside down. But when I looked at him he had a clump of black stuff attached to the bottom of his tail what is it I'm scared and curious.

He did that before buy he didn't have the clump on him and actually that's what I thought at first but he looks normal

Bout as clear as i could get it it looks like eggs to me

Attachments

• image-1323113095.jpg
    image-1323113095.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 74
I'm not sure I just saw it a fish store and I knew they ate off the bottom of the tank so I bought one I know it's just a normal red crawfish

Dont ask me how to take care of em lol. The only thing i have to do with crayfish is catching them in the summer and feeding them toy oscar.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the females can store sperm for a long time before laying their eggs. Some crawfish can actually just clone themselves. Either way, those definitely appear to be fertilized eggs.

If you get some more pictures of the crawfish, specifically the top, I could help you identify the species.

For the babies, your mom crawfish will continue to hide like that until they hatch. If you want to raise the babies, it'd be good to have a separate tank with a sponge filter or sponge prefilter on the filter intake. The fry could get sucked up otherwise. You could just put the mother in the fry tank now until the babies hatch.

In the fry tank, there need to be a lot of hiding spaces for the fry. Otherwise they will cannibalize one another.

General crawfish care requires hard water and of course your regular 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. If you have any more questions, just let me know or check out http://www.reddit.com/r/crayfish

Back
Top Bottom