Crayfish Babies...0_o!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enigmatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just cleaning out my tank and I noticed a little tiny shrimp-like creature in it. Upon closer inspection it looked like a tiny little crayfish, so I looked for my crayfish in its usual hideout and it was surrounded by little baby crayfish.
Guess it's a she...

I've never cared for baby crayfish before so any tips?

Congrats! :D and welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

The babies are going to have to be moved to their own container, else mom is going to eat them. Crayfish are horrible parents. :wink: The babies will eat finely crushed flake food and bloodworms. You can get alot more info here: http://www.bluecrayfish.com .

Thanks :) I ran out and got a tank divider so they have their own side of the tank now.

For many crayfish there is parental care. The babies hang on to the swimmerets of the mum until they get big enough to leave safely on their own. In these species the mother won't eat her young until after they leave (thats probably why they where all hanging around her). They tend to detach for brief periods to forage & then go back to mum tummy. Of course the blue crayfish may not have parental care (not sure) but from the situation you describe it sounds like they might.

Since you don't have any nasty crayfish eating fish around I am sure they will be fine in their own side of the tank. Eventually they will start to fight with each other & will need to be seperated so watch for animals with missing claws & the like.

Best of luck with your new brood & keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom