Crayfish in water garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecibella123

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a 220g indoor water garden, inhabited by 3 oscars, 3 red-eared sliders, 2 eclipse catfish, and 2 senegalus bichirs. None of the fish are under 6". I'd like to add a couple electric blue crayfish. I have plenty of rock caves and hiding places. Is this feasible, or an absolute no-no?

I don't know if I'd try it. They may get eaten, those are some pretty big fish and the crayfish you buy will probably be small. Maybe if you grow them out enough?

One of our LFS sells crayfish that are nearly grown, in the 4-5" range. But at 25-30.00 each, I wouldn't want them to become expensive oscar food. Would these be large enough to be safe? I don't think the turtles would bother them. They don't seem interested in anything but pellets and earthworms.

4-5" sounds like a good size. But there's always a chance. And you could probably find some cheaper online, just sayin ;)

What I'm actually considering now, is catching several local crayfish (sold online and in pet stores as red lobsters), de-breeding and diseases and parasites they may have in a separate tank for a few weeks, and adding them to the water garden and koi pond. If they get eaten, it doesn't cost me anything. They usually reach a max size of about 6".

Pictures?? Last couple days I've got koi pond on the brain. Would love to see your indoor water garden!!

Would love to show you if I could get a pic to post to the forum. The indoor water garden is only 220g, not nearly large enough for koi. We have an outdoor koi pond that is about 6,500g. Several smaller outdoor ponds also, but again; not large enough for koi.

try marbled crays, they will breed like nuts get 6 inches, and if you get like 3-6 they will have babies most will be eaten, but if you have cover some will live.

Very cool idea. Please post a picture of your indoor water garden, I am very interested to see what that looks like. Full disclosure: I may copy your idea in my own home :) :) :)

Would love to show you if I could get a pic to post to the forum. The indoor water garden is only 220g, not nearly large enough for koi. We have an outdoor koi pond that is about 6,500g. Several smaller outdoor ponds also, but again; not large enough for koi.

Cecibella, the best way to insert a picture is to click "manage attachments" link below the text box when replying.

Back
Top Bottom