Crayfish molt or dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a very clear photo but keep an eye on him and if there is no movement I would believe it to be dead

He's not dead but he's not molting. This has happened a couple of times before he looks like he's going to molt them an hour later he's walking around.

So he just lies down or something?

I'm glad he's not dead though. What are your water parameters? Are you using any kind of mineral supplement?

Crayfish often have trouble with iodine deficiency. If they are not receiving enough iodine in their diet, they will have issues with molting. In this instance, it's possible your crayfish is trying to molt, but struggling as a result of iodine deficiency.

If you are able, I would encourage you to get a bottle of Kent Marine Iodide (yes Iodide, not Iodine*...) from your local LFS or Petco [Petsmart doesn't carry it]. Do not use the dosage that is prescribed on the bottle, but rather cut it in half. I believe they say 5 mL per 50 gallons, so cut it down to 2.5 mL per 50 gallons. Or just a drop or two per 10 gallons.

I hope he gets better!

Back
Top Bottom