Crazed Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralAnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in the suburbs of Little Rock, Arkansas
Crazed Damsel!!!

Last night, my electric blue damsel (had him for two weeks) all of a sudden started chasing my blue yellow-tailed damsel (had him for six months now). He was actually biting parts of his body off!!! Dorsal fin...GONE!!! I quickly put him my quarantine tank, and he looks much better...well he really LOOKS bad but no longer stressed. Will he be able to ever go back to the other tank???

Need Advice!!! My electric blue damsel suddenly began attacking my yellow tailed blue damsel. By thr time i could get him out and into the quarantine tank, he actually had bites taken out of him!!! He barely has a dorasl fin!!! Will he heal??? He seems much better now. Will i ever be able to move him back into the main tank??? :-/

Likely not. Most people unfortunately add only a couple damsels in their tank, but they behave much like cichlids and need a fairly large group to disperse aggression. There are lesser of evil damsels (I love damsels).

I wouldnt put him back in. Damsels are DEMONIC. He will heal with time, but it should take awhile. GL!

Damsels one of the more aggressive fish in salt aquariums, they are very territorial and may not show it until months down the road when they snap and kill/attack anything. It is generally recommend to avoid damsels all together for this reason. Ive had my share of them and they cant be trusted, they are pure evil in a neat little package.

Lol demonic... Good word! 3 points!

And ya damsels are very mean, i you try and put him back in a few days be ready to pull him out again and rehome him or something... :( a 6 gallon tank with 2 damsels is why there is so much agression, a bigger tank would be nice for the two of them!

Crap i have two damsels. I highly doubt they could hurt my filefish. He is strong and powerful. Caught him from the ocean

Blackfish down said:
Crap i have two damsels. I highly doubt they could hurt my filefish. He is strong and powerful. Caught him from the ocean

Actually they could very easily hurt your filefish. Ive seen a damsel kill a lionfish man. They are that freaking mean.

Search this site and I've mentioned a few that are considered fairly non-aggressive. Damsels aren't that bad if they are housed in groups of their own kind, otherwise they pick at other fish and especially if they are established.

Innovator said:
Search this site and I've mentioned a few that are considered fairly non-aggressive. Damsels aren't that bad if they are housed in groups of their own kind, otherwise they pick at other fish and especially if they are established.

Point being they are not peaceful, and have no place in a peaceful tank, especially smaller tanks. They are almost never stocked like you describe and that is why they are problem fish. They are cheap and for many, especially new hobbyist just starting. These fish are stocked almost always alone, in small tanks, with incompatible species and that is why these fish have the reputation they do. If they where stocked in suitable tanks with suitable inhabitants there would not be as many problems but way too often that is not the case.

Schism said:
Damsels one of the more aggressive fish in salt aquariums, they are very territorial and may not show it until months down the road when they snap and kill/attack anything. It is generally recommend to avoid damsels all together for this reason. Ive had my share of them and they cant be trusted, they are pure evil in a neat little package.

You are definitely right about that!!! I'll just keep him in this other tank...ALONE!!! LOL

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol demonic... Good word! 3 points!

And ya damsels are very mean, i you try and put him back in a few days be ready to pull him out again and rehome him or something... :( a 6 gallon tank with 2 damsels is why there is so much agression, a bigger tank would be nice for the two of them!

I think you've gotta good point!!! I think I'll just keep the hurt one in quarantine...ALL BY HIMSELF!!! I know dude...I need to get a bigger tank. I just don't have the room for it. I'm learning...You guys are teaching me what to do and what not to. Maybe one day...LOL...I'll be the smartest aquarist with a 90 gal tank!!! LOL :))

Reefpete said:
had a domino damsel and he was just the worst fish ever loll got rid of him he beat up my clowns almost to death ......

IKR!!! My yellow-tailed blue damsel (the one who got the crap beat outta him) almost killed my clownie!!! He kept dive-bombing him...over and over. HOWEVER...clownie survived and is now bigger than damsel!!! LOL

Schism said:
Point being they are not peaceful, and have no place in a peaceful tank, especially smaller tanks. They are almost never stocked like you describe and that is why they are problem fish. They are cheap and for many, especially new hobbyist just starting. These fish are stocked almost always alone, in small tanks, with incompatible species and that is why these fish have the reputation they do. If they where stocked in suitable tanks with suitable inhabitants there would not be as many problems but way too often that is not the case.

You are right. Next time I'll do my research...don't want this to happen again!!! Thanks!!!

Schism said:
Actually they could very easily hurt your filefish. Ive seen a damsel kill a lionfish man. They are that freaking mean.

My file fish is very powerful and fast plus has powerful mouth

Back
Top Bottom