Crazy Guppy Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessipanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
First, the tanks and fish:

-10g with 1 guppy & a juvie BN pleco
-55g with 10 cardinals, 5 neons, & a farlowella; as well as 3 jungle val and a banana
-Both also have driftwood
-Parameters for both are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, less than 20ppm nitrates, ph of 6.8, 78°F

Originally, we just had the 10g with 5 neons, 1 guppy, & 1 juvie BN pleco. We got the 55g set up and have had 10 cardinals & a farlowella in it for a bit now. It's fully cycled and the cardinals look great, so we decided yesterday to move the inhabitants of the 10g to the 55g, with the exception of the BN (for now to let the farlowella become more comfy without competition). The neons are doing great. They started schooling with the cardinals straight away and have seemed very happy to have more space.

The problem is my 7 year old daughter's guppy, Bubbles. She named him Bubbles because of his obsession with the air bubbles that come from the air pump. In the 10g, the bubbles build up under the platform, then release every so often. So he didn't see them all the time. In the 55g, there is a bubble wall all along the 4ft back. So when Bubbles went into the 55g yesterday, he was in bubble heaven...and might have ended up in actual heaven if we didn't move him back to the 10g. He is so obsessed with the air bubbles that for the 2 hours he was in the 55g, he continuously played with and chased them. After 1 hour, he looked exhausted so I lowered the level of air being pumped into it in hopes he would calm down after awhile. Nope! Another hour later he was looking worse and STILL chasing bubbles.... So we moved him back to the 10g.

I want him out of my 10g so that it can be used as a QT/HT. I can't get rid of him because my daughter picked him out specifically 9 months ago. He is her fish.

So I'm looking for ideas that will help me move him to the 55g without it killing him. I don't want to remove the bubble wall either. We were planning on getting him some girl guppies anyways...do you think this would help to remove his focus on the bubbles or would he still wear himself out by redirecting all that energy towards the girls?

If I can't safely move him, then I will end up having to purchase and cycle a new tank to act as my QT.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Last edited:
I read the entire thing and i think its safe to say the name is well earned.

On the note of the bubbles you could either lower them to a trickle or remove them entirely, they really don't have any point other then cosmetic/medication unless running a sponge filter.

A female or 2 would probably calm him down also, he would be more concerned chasing them.

I read the entire thing and i think its safe to say the name is well earned.

On the note of the bubbles you could either lower them to a trickle or remove them entirely, they really don't have any point other then cosmetic/medication unless running a sponge filter.

A female or 2 would probably calm him down also, he would be more concerned chasing them.

Yes...yes...his name fits him perfectly...hahaha.

I have the bubble wall for cosmetics and circulation. The filter I have for it isa HOB for up to 75g, but the part that pulls the water through is very short - only about 6in. So it doesn't pull stuff from the bottom well. And since mt daughter wants guppies I can't have a fast flowing current. The bubble wall allows the water to circulate at a slower pace. Plus it's pretty XD
I turn it all the way down at night so it only has a few air bubbles coming through in a couple spots, but can still circulate the water a bit.

I'll have to get the females and see if it helps him... Otherwise I'm either going to have to remove the bubble wall or get another tank just for her guppies...which wouldn't bother me, just don't know where to put it! Hahaha

Yes...yes...his name fits him perfectly...hahaha.

I have the bubble wall for cosmetics and circulation. The filter I have for it isa HOB for up to 75g, but the part that pulls the water through is very short - only about 6in. So it doesn't pull stuff from the bottom well. And since mt daughter wants guppies I can't have a fast flowing current. The bubble wall allows the water to circulate at a slower pace. Plus it's pretty XD
I turn it all the way down at night so it only has a few air bubbles coming through in a couple spots, but can still circulate the water a bit.

I'll have to get the females and see if it helps him... Otherwise I'm either going to have to remove the bubble wall or get another tank just for her guppies...which wouldn't bother me, just don't know where to put it! Hahaha

Oh you'll find places... it becomes a game! Ask me how I fit 10 tanks in a 2 bedroom apartment! :lol: Personally I recommend checking out double tank stands from Drs. Foster and Smith website... Lets you stack two of a kind of tank on one stand and they're cheap and relatively attractive. I have one for ten gallons and one for 20's... a double 10 gallon stand would fix your problem fast!

Aforementioned double 10 gallon stand. Put the guppy tank on top and hide the QT on the bottom!

Attachments

• 1449706213230.jpg
    1449706213230.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 63
Nevermind, Found them lol.

Have you bought from the site before? Whats the shipping like

yea im buying a python sometime soon. The 60 gallon is starting to be a real pain and its only 60 gallons lol.

Hahahaha! Exigenn, my hubby is going to hate sini too! XD Thanks sini!

Stuff in contagious.

I was originally planning 10 gallons but then he also had to mention they fit up to 75 gallons too >.>

Thinking it might be time to turn the closet into a miniature fish room. Now to figure out how to heat it lol.

No problem! My wife and I keep fish together as a collective hobby (she actually commented on your first thread :lol: ) so she loves double stands! I know I'm lucky :lol:

Im already thinking about 2 10 racks on each side of the closet (24in) and double 40 breeders in the middle or something. oh sini just killed my budget for the next 6 months.

Think that free shipping applies to 3/4 racks?

Anyone have heating ideas that wont burn down my house? LOL

Just an update on the guppy, even though it's been awhile, he went back into the 55g 2 weeks ago and has been mostly doing well. He typically stays with the schooling fish or buddies up with the EBR, but occasionally I find him just sitting at the top of the tank in a corner. He's not gasping for air or anything...he seems to be sleeping or something. Once he notices me there, he slowly returns to normal and starts begging for food. He's about a year old, but quite clearly of poor stock. He's always done this, even in the 10g. Should I be worried about this behavior? Or is this just some quirk with him? He doesn't appear sick in any way.

Back
Top Bottom