CRAZY sudden bloat and very sick beta, what's happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

My wife has a beta fish that was moved to a cycled 5 gallon tank Friday night. Was totally fine up to and including this morning. My wife got home after work tonight and was freaking out. The beta is suddenly SUPER bloated, especially in the front belly part and can barely swim is having problem keeping buoyancy. Every once in awhile she swims hard for the surface, takes a big gulp and goes back down. Last feeding was yesterday and always eats her food like a little pig. Her body scales are also very rough looking, like sticking out/spiney looking all over her body.

Is this some kind of fish constipation and what should I do? Truth be told she looks hours away from dying.

Any idea? Should I post photos?

Thanks,
Dan

Ugh... if I am reading right, could this be Dropsy?

My guess is dropsy too. If it is constipation it is usually just the belly that is enlarged.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My guess is dropsy too. If it is constipation it is usually just the belly that is enlarged.

I thought dropsy was something that took awhile to take hold? He went from completely fine to extremely bloated and pine-coning within 6 hours!

Thanks,
Dan

I have only seen it once in my tank with an ADF and it was a few days.

But I have never seen pine coning for anything else in my reading. I hope I am wrong. I didn't see a lot of positive outcomes for dropsy.

My beta's have also done this when I put them in my tank but r just fine if I leave them in a bowl without any heat/filtration etc. Strange eh

Hi, have you tried a blanched pea? I know you said he's pine coned but you could give it a go, and if he's constipated it should help.

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

You can also try Epsom salts as well.

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Well we tried our best but Ruby passed on to the big bowl in the sky after day 5. We did add the salt and some medication (all the recommended antibiotics are simply not available in stores here). The missus was really upset but would like to get a new fish and try again once I've cleaned the tank and cycled it. Beta fish round 3 coming up!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom