Creative extension cord running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to set up a 5 gallon betta tank for my daughter in her room, but I want to do it right and have a heater and a sponge filter. The problem is that the only logical place to put it means that I'd either have to run an extension cord under her carpet or up and over a door frame to get to a power outlet. Anyone ever dealt with something like this before? What's the most "invisible" way to secure an extension cord around a door frame? Or is this a sign that a tank really shouldn't go there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just run it on the outside of the carpet along the bottom of the wall that's what my dad does with any cables like for for stereos and such.

I would, but it's actually hardwood floors with big rug in the middle of the room. So the edges of the room are exposed wood. Plus it needs to either cross a closet door or the entrance to the room itself. I think I just need to convince her to put it somewhere else or rearrange her room. She's very resistant to change. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah ok haha I'd convince her to rearrange her room. I had too in the end seeing as I'm running two tanks off one PowerPoint...
We're talking lights, filters and heaters plus my phone charger....

How about putting it round door frame with the wire holders you can get, you could paint the wire so it blends in a bit more, might take a bit of time but well worth it, just an idea

Sent from fish phone

re-arrange the room. Extension cords are dangerous. I know you will be told by a thousand people they have used them for twenty years without a problem, but do you really want to chance a fire in your daughters room? I use nothing other than a power strip with built in surge and arc protection, like for your computer.

I do this with a white extension cord and white cable clips. It's there, you see it.. trick is make it neat, no twists in the cord, even/well planned spacing of the clips so it looks professional. Keep cord tight to trim and it will be fine. You can get a cord channel to and paint it the color of the wall but I think those look tacky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Re-arrange the room and have her participate so she's be less averse to change. Let her be the architect and you design your 'must have' placements and let her switch around the rest.

You can move the cords safely (I'd go over the door) but less cords the better for piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom