Critter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK I am preparing to order my lr from Zack and need to know once I dip the lr into the hypersalinity (1.030 I think it was), how do I tell which critters I really want in my tank? Anyone have a good/bad list with pictures? I sure would hate to get something I didn't want in my tank, then again I'd hate to get rid of something that would be beneficial to my setup.

I know I ask alot of questions but I don't want a repeat of my fw disaster. My wife bought a fish and whatever it brought with it killed my whole tank, within 48 hrs (I think). So please forgive some of my stupid questions.

BTW I have decided I like the sand look so much I am swapping my 29 gal sw over to sand/ lr as soon as I get the 46 up and running. :smilecolros:

I posted a picture of the unwanted crabs. Look at this thread.
Someone else posted pics of mantis and I recently saw one on other bad hitchhikers. Do some searches on the site and you should find what you need, both good and bad.

Hey keep posting and asking lots of questions. Let us know how your LR set up goes. Check for the thread with the pics of the cirolanids and the ID graphic. I saved those pics for future reference and can repost them if you can't find the thread.

Did a search and found nothing on cirolanids, so if you've still got those pictures I would appreciate it. :)

I just pulled three out of my tank this morning. An 1/8" one, 1/4" one and a 3/8" one. I'm not too happy about it either. The two smaller ones were on my percs. The 1/4" one was free swimming. In total, I've plucked 6 out of the tank and i'm hoping that there's not too many more.

FWIW, these are nastier than any mantis could ever be.

Jim

Here's Jim's original post. . .Not what you want in your tank
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17940&highlight=

Are you going to cycle this tank with the LR?
Other than the pest crabs and shrimp I'm not sure the parasites can live without a fish host.

Ok, I found Dr. Ron's article.
"remove all the fish from the tank and wait the two or three months until you are certain that all the isopods have died from starvation"

Thanks for the link. I don't have anything on my fish as of now. I was going to put the lr in and wait for just a few days until I was sure there was not going to be a major ammonia spike and then transfer the fish back to the tank. Actually part of the fish, I'm gonna leave part of them in the 29 gal and it will be a fowlr in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom