cross breeding gold and blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveho

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all a while ago i was sold what i now think are gold rams, at the shop it was hard to tell as they where and are still young and i thought they where stressed. yesterday i got myself a beautiful blue ram and wow the diffrence. anyway my question since golds are just colour morphs of blues can they interbreed my guess would be yes but dose anyone have the experiance (haha the boy has just started following one of my girls around maby ill fimd out on my own) also i suppose the young would be a mix of blues and golds xorrect??

Yes they'll interbreed. I mixed gold and electric blues together, had them breed a few times but no viable offspring. I'm not sure what the fry would turn out like on a gold x gbr cross, I guess it depends on the genetics. if gold is a recessive gene then the offspring would all come out as GBRs with gold gene. If one of those were bred to a Gold then you'd have a percentage of Gold offspring at that point.

If the gold trait is not recessive then I'd treat it like just basic punnet square stuff, although genetics is not something I am well versed in, so I could be wrong.

thanks for the reply, thats what i thought how come u ddnt get any fry was it a parents eating the eggs thing or just no firtalised eggs due to an barren pair??

I didn't pull their eggs out so I'm not sure what happened, it could've been either one. I had several breeding pairs at the time so I didn't pay close attention to their activities.

I never had any luck letting the parents raise fry, but I do know someone who has. It seems like the general consensus though is that they are terrible at parenting, so if your goal is to maximize fry output then you should pull the eggs and do it yourself.

awsome advice thanks heeps wow already i can see diffrent behavior drom this male he is alrady just following the famale everywhere my oter male had no intrrst in the 2 demales

Back
Top Bottom