Cross breeding (Hybrids)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyTy98

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an adult make balloon belly and a female sun burst platy. They get along great together!! I would like to breed them and see what happens. Is that bad?? How would I breed them??

TyTy98 said:
I have an adult make balloon belly and a female sun burst platy. They get along great together!! I would like to breed them and see what happens. Is that bad?? How would I breed them??

Whoops I meant to say male balloon belly Molly.

Cross-breading can be difficult between some livebearers, from what I've read. But, I would guess just put them together and let them do their thing.

The ethics is up to you. If you feel it is fine, then it's fine.

Here comes the whole poecilidae x xiphophorus argument again!!

What you have is a platy (xiphophorus maculatus) and a Molly (poecilia latipinna).

The last time this came up somebody likened it to trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and said cross breeding them was not possible. However, scientifically and artificially it is possible.

One last thing though, I believe a balloon Molly may already be a hybridised form of Molly and, although they can breed easily, there could be a slight chance of it not being able to physically reproduce anyway like some ribbon finned guppies, etc.

as long as they are in the same tank, and you see them getting along with eachother, chances are that they have already started to breed. it's posible, and that hybrid would look very cool. if it works you HAVE TO post pics :)

Keep in mind that if you are successful with this, you won't be able to sell or trade the fry to the lfs. You'll have to either keep them or give them to friends. :)

mollies and platys don't interbreed naturally. They aren't even closely related. The balloon variant isn't due to hybridization, it's a deformity that is found in all kinds of fish species, that's why you see balloon versions of several kinds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom