Crossbreeding livebearers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Platys and swords are commonly bred. they are both from the genus Xiphophorus.
Mollies can not breed with platys or swords they are from the genus Poecilia. Mollies can breed with guppies but this is fairly rare and the off spring are usually sterile. Mollies and guppies really prefer to breed with there own kind. The off spring are often called gollies or muppies. :)

Platties and sword will cross breed and the offspring will breed. They can be very attractive fish and they can be very ugly fish. I actually don't think my LFS has had a true platty in a long time. They all look like the crossbreeds I have had before I knew better. Survival rate is lower, they don't get along with most other fish, IME, and are nothing like the original species. They seem to change alot and act a differently.

Why, who knows but I wouldn't recommend it just because it pollutes the already hard to find true strain gene pool in the LFS.

mollielover said:
Mollies can not breed with platys or swords they are from the genus Poecilia. Mollies can breed with guppies but this is fairly rare and the off spring are usually sterile. Mollies and guppies really prefer to breed with there own kind. The off spring are often called gollies or muppies. :)

are there any pics of those fish? It would be really interesting to see!!!

Anonymous said:
mollielover said:

are there any pics of those fish? It would be really interesting to see!!!
I haven't personally seen any pictures but, maybe I can find one doing a search. :D

Back
Top Bottom