Crushed Coral Cloudiness bad for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkpq45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Just switched substrate to crushed coral in my 25g freshwater tank--apparently didn't rinse well enough as the thing is super cloudy. Is this bad for the fish? I've changed part of the water but it didn't seem to help.

If it's not bad for the fish, I'll just wait for it to settle out.

I'm listening!
jkpq45

I think you could rinse that stuff for 7 days straight and it would still cloud up. I can't imagine it being harmful to fish. Just give it some time to settle out :)

Thank you for calming my fears, Mr. eco. I've done an 84% water change and it has helped considerably, but still cloudy.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of so much water if my tank was properly cycled, but these fish were rescues needing a new home so they were introduced to this environment a bit early. I can't imagine negative vital signs being high as I did roughly the same percentage water change about 9 hours ago....

I've got a patch of nasty filter coming from a friend tomorrow, hopefully that will help jumpstart the tank.

jkpq45 said:
Thank you for calming my fears, Mr. eco. I've done an 84% water change and it has helped considerably, but still cloudy.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of so much water if my tank was properly cycled, but these fish were rescues needing a new home so they were introduced to this environment a bit early. I can't imagine negative vital signs being high as I did roughly the same percentage water change about 9 hours ago....

I've got a patch of nasty filter coming from a friend tomorrow, hopefully that will help jumpstart the tank.

Good of you to help out a fish in need and welcome to AA. I run a small bag of CC in my HOB filter, and it still clouds up a bit anytime I disturb it. This link may be of some help with cycling with your new fish, good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Stress Zyme was on sale at WM--so I dropped a dose into the back part of the filter. Hopefully something was still alive in the bottle and can help the process along.

The bit-o-filter from a friend came to me this morning--nice n' gross, hopefully that will help the process along as well.

The water quality can't suck too bad--the guppy fry that were born yesterday (I count three) are still swimming about if you look hard enough. I've got a fry tank for them from the same friend so they'll be quarantined this evening.

Nobody's dead yet, even with the cloudy water and potentially high PH as a result of the crushed coral. No test kit yet so can't confirm that; but the water's clearing, so that's a good sign.

I'm about to pull a trick out of my magic hat from my Homebrewing hobby and hit the aquarium with Sparkolloid or Bentonite--both products used to clarify wine and beer. I won't actually try this, but it's fun to think about.

I don't think it will bother your fish, but the particles could possibly damage your filter. Put some filter floss at the top of the intake to trap any bits before they get into your filter mechanism.

I've got a scotch-brite texture cylinder intake on the dip tube for the filter, nothing huge has made it into the impeller so far (I pulled the impeller last night and, while there were bits of grit in the back of the filter, the impeller was undamaged).

I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Some of the male guppies are going to a friend--good news as the tank is likely overloaded to about 1.2" per gallon. The 7" plecostomus is headed his way as well as I believed the environment to be too small for him.

jkpq45 said:
I've got a scotch-brite texture cylinder intake on the dip tube for the filter, nothing huge has made it into the impeller so far (I pulled the impeller last night and, while there were bits of grit in the back of the filter, the impeller was undamaged).

I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Some of the male guppies are going to a friend--good news as the tank is likely overloaded to about 1.2" per gallon. The 7" plecostomus is headed his way as well as I believed the environment to be too small for him.

Yeah, a normal Pleco will get WAY too big for a 25 gallon. I have also heard they put out a ton of waste and take up a huge portion of your bioload. If you're having algae problems you could get a bristle nose Pleco or a few Otos...I love Otos.

Back
Top Bottom