Crushed coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some CC today and read the bag after I left. It says "This natural product of the sea suitable for saltwater aquariums only". The brand is Marine Life. Is it not safe to even just have some of it in my filter? I just want to raise my kH and pH a little. Should I bring it back and get some other kind or is it all the same? :|

CC will raise your PH and GH along with KH. If you only want to raise KH, use baking soda, it won't raise your GH. It won't raise your PH but will stabilize it to prevent swings. :D

I want to raise the GH also but so that crushed coral will be fine in FW?

Yes. Crushed coral is fine for FW. Just put some in a bit in a filter bag, rinse it, and put it in your filter. Monitor the GH, pH, and KH. Just a little bit should raise hardness two degrees or so, and not affect your pH too much. How much depends on how much CC you put in and your water change schedule!

Got it.

My best guess is that it is designated "saltwater only" because it is only intended for use as a substrate in saltwater aquaria. I can't think of any reason why use of a smaller amount in the filter of a freshwater aquarium would be a problem.

I have cc in my canister filters also, and it says for Saltwater uses only. Don't worry about it. When I went to the lfs and asked for Crushed Coral for my freshwater tank, they all looked at me like I was nuts! It's all the same stuff.

Regarding baking soda usages, I have heard that it is not good to use because it will cause swings. You also have to keep using it. With crushed coral you just put a bag in the filter and let it go. Then maybe 6 months later you replace it. Not having to even think about it the entire time. There was a debate about this many months ago in the Getting Started Forum.

Fishyfanatic said:
Regarding baking soda usages, I have heard that it is not good to use because it will cause swings. You also have to keep using it. With crushed coral you just put a bag in the filter and let it go. Then maybe 6 months later you replace it. Not having to even think about it the entire time. There was a debate about this many months ago in the Getting Started Forum.
Yeah, I wouldn't use baking soda anyway.
I thought you never have to change the CC?

I am assuming that's why. But, I'm not exactly sure. I PM'd someone several months back when I first added the crushed coral and they told me why, but I deleted the PM and can't remember what they said.

Back
Top Bottom