Crushed Molly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle170

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! One of my younger (~9mo old) mollies got wedged under a few of the substrate rocks and was trapped for ~1 week. I originally thought he was hiding (not unusual), until I noticed him routinely missing. I think he swam in between the rocks, but knocked one loose, thus trapping him in.

I carefully removed the rocks and he swam out. He was swimming a bit awkwardly and his right side appears to be squished a little. He was able to swim relatively well for being trapped and he ate food. I immediately added stress coat to the water and turned off all the lights for him to rest.

My question: I’ve seen that fish can recover from cuts with proper treatment, but this would be more internal if anything. Is there anything I can do to help him recover on top of the stress coat (salt maybe?)? Or do you think this will be a death sentence? Perhaps he is just swimming awkwardly due to being in an odd position for so long? The rocks, while heavier than the fish, did not appear to fully crush his body.

I also ordered smaller substrate and will be replacing it all ASAP so as to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Thanks all!!!

I'm so sorry about what's happening to your molly! Could you send a picture to see if anything is unusual about him?

I recommend turning the lights off for 12 hours everyday, getting trapped by the substrate rocks could be a sign of stress

Back
Top Bottom