Cry for help!!! Septicemia - Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok someone please help me confirm my math?

A 0.5% salt content is:
4.21lbs per 100 gallons
1.9kg or 1909grams per 378.5L
8.4 x 45 = 378L
So 1909 divided by 8.4 = 227g per 45L of water to get 0.5%
227 divided by 5 will = 45.4g or 0.1% of salt.
45.4g x 3 = 136.2g of salt for a 0.3% solution in 45L of water.

IS THIS CORRECT???

Standard dose for Prazipro is 1tsp per 20gal (equates to concentration 2.5mg/l). Is this what you are able to purchase or is it another type/form of praziquantel?

I just spoke to the most helpful informed person at this vet. They sold me 4 x metronidazole 400mg tablets without seeing the fish. FINALLY I've found something that is available. After ringing multiple vets and getting brushed off FINALLY one that deals with fish. I didn't even know this particular vet existed! Lol

The dosage recommended is 250mg per 5g of water for 12 hours followed by a 50% PWC. Repeat in 3 days if no improvement.

Thoughts???

Idk if I've been looking in the right places. I thought for sure I'd exhausted all my options. I feel kind of silly at the moment. Lol

I'm not feeding the gel food tonight. I've done a huge PWC and dosed salt back up to 0.18%. Going to PWC again in the morning dose salt up to 0.3% and give a dose of metro. Sound good?

Ok someone please help me confirm my math?

A 0.5% salt content is:
4.21lbs per 100 gallons
1.9kg or 1909grams per 378.5L
8.4 x 45 = 378L
So 1909 divided by 8.4 = 227g per 45L of water to get 0.5%
227 divided by 5 will = 45.4g or 0.1% of salt.
45.4g x 3 = 136.2g of salt for a 0.3% solution in 45L of water.

IS THIS CORRECT???

Much easier way to calculate salt dose.

0.3% = 0.3 g/100 ml = 3g/l
45l x3 = 135 g.

Excellent that you found a fish vet.

Looking at the pic - that is definitely injected veins & not pigmentation. So keeping fingers crossed that the treatment will work.

You can also dose Prazi & metronidazole in food as well. This is the recipe:
Medicated Gel Food
(metronidazole dose is about halfway down.)

Jungle & others make food with Prazi & metronidazole combined. The drug concentration is:
Prazi: 0.0057% (5.7 mg/100 g), Metro: 0.3% (300 mg/100g) <Note this is dry pellets, doses need to be adjusted for wet food.>

Last edited:
jsoong said:
Excellent that you found a fish vet.

Looking at the pic - that is definitely injected veins & not pigmentation. So keeping fingers crossed that the treatment will work.

You can also dose Prazi & metronidazole in food as well. This is the recipe:
Medicated Gel Food
(metronidazole dose is about halfway down.)

Jungle & others make food with Prazi & metronidazole combined. The drug concentration is:
Prazi: 0.0057% (5.7 mg/100 g), Metro: 0.3% (300 mg/100g) <Note this is dry pellets, doses need to be adjusted for wet food.>

Thanks! Can I dose the prazi to the water? I've got a guy sending me some but I don't know when it'll get here. I want to start the metro ASAP in food.

I'm not sure what type of praziquantel you got, but there are types that you just put into the water versus feeding them. It will at least kill any external parasites, but I've also used it to kill intestinal parasites and their larvae by just treating the water.

Ok yesterday afternoon was a nightmare so I got nothing done. This morning (it is 8:40am now) I made the medicated food. I made 40g of food with meds and used only one tablet. I also move the whole QT set up into my laundry room. It has turned cold and nasty outside and the rain is expected to stay for a few days. He will be warmer in the house plus I'm going to add a heater today and slowly increase the temperature. Food is setting in the fridge now so I will feed first dose soon. Should I be feeding 2 or 3 times a day?

Back
Top Bottom