Cry for help!!! Septicemia - Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
His tail is looking much better!!!! :) :) :)

We may win this yet!!
I'm a little worried though. We are going away for a long weekend next week so none of the fish will be fed for 3 1/2 days. The others will be fine but I'm worried if he misses his antibiotics he could go backwards. I don't really have anyone to come feed him.

Have you considered adding a dose of his meds directly to the water before you leave if you dont have anyone to feed him few a few days? Not as effective as taking them internally but atleast it would be something until you return.

jlk said:
Have you considered adding a dose of his meds directly to the water before you leave if you dont have anyone to feed him few a few days? Not as effective as taking them internally but atleast it would be something until you return.

I've got 2 400mg metro tabs left. He's in a 100L tank. Oh and he's still in 0.3% salt. This tank is cycled. 50% PWC every third day.

I hate math! Ok- standard dose for metro in the water is 250mg per 10gal according to the GAB (goldfish & aquarium board) but i have seen the rec'd doses anywhere from 250mg/20gal to 400mg/10gal. I have never used metro in the water before so i am not sure who is correct but i would trust the GABs information. For a 25gal tank this would equal 625mg (i know yours is @26g though- too much math for an extra gal). You could always call the vet to double check appropriate dosing for the water, too!

boo sick

im not sure this will help but their is a place called goldfish connection if u emailed rick im sure he would help if he can he imports fancy goldfish alot and hes very good at what he does:hide:

jlk said:
I hate math! Ok- standard dose for metro in the water is 250mg per 10gal according to the GAB (goldfish & aquarium board) but i have seen the rec'd doses anywhere from 250mg/20gal to 400mg/10gal. I have never used metro in the water before so i am not sure who is correct but i would trust the GABs information. For a 25gal tank this would equal 625mg (i know yours is @26g though- too much math for an extra gal). You could always call the vet to double check appropriate dosing for the water, too!

Ah! Hang on a sec.... The dose I was recommend by the vet was......

Mumma.of.two said:
I just spoke to the most helpful informed person at this vet. They sold me 4 x metronidazole 400mg tablets without seeing the fish. FINALLY I've found something that is available. After ringing multiple vets and getting brushed off FINALLY one that deals with fish. I didn't even know this particular vet existed! Lol

The dosage recommended is 250mg per 5g of water for 12 hours followed by a 50% PWC. Repeat in 3 days if no improvement.

Thoughts???

So that's 5g x 5 = 25g
250mg x 5 = 1250mg
I have 800mg :/

Last edited:
Ah! Hang on a sec.... The dose I was recommend by the vet was......

So that's 5g x 5 = 25g
250mg x 5 = 1250mg
I have 800mg :/

Ok- so the vet prescribed a huge amount!! Well, that leaves you with the option of dosing what you have or trying to find somebody to feed him...

You must have been feeding the metro for weeks now? Are you at the end of the treatment course? <You normally only use antibiotics for 2 weeks - 3 at most.>

jsoong said:
You must have been feeding the metro for weeks now? Are you at the end of the treatment course? <You normally only use antibiotics for 2 weeks - 3 at most.>

24th January was the first dose. I mentioned I was going to keep doing the same thing (feeding meds and using salt) a couple of pages back and no one said anything so I kept going. :/ was that the wrong thing to do?

You are at ~ 4 weeks of metro now. That should be a long enough course of treatment. I would stop & see what happens next.

In general, when using anti-biotics, you want to use a good dose (hence oral or injectable) for enough time (for usual bacterial infection, it is 2 weeks - 3 weeks). Using antibiotics for too long risks systemic toxicity, but more importantly, chronic antibiotic use selects out resistant organisms, which are very difficult to treat.

The one exception would be treating tb. (Mycobacterium). Because of the very slow growing bacteria, we are forced to treat for months.

Back
Top Bottom