Cryptocoryne Willisii not doing so well in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there,
In my 20g tank I have an Anubias Nana, Java Fern, and Crypocoryne Willisii under a 6,700k light strip. The Java Fern is doing great, the Anubias is recovering from my clumsiness (I accidentally... ripped it in half... because I wasn't expecting it to be so fragile at first), but the Crypt is slowly declining in health, I found a totally rotted leaf today.

Before getting the Crypt, I had done quite a bit of research lighting-wise, and the kind members of AA advised me in several different threads that they would be okay in my lighting, so I don't think that's the issue.

The Crypt is planted in a fine sand substrate, covering as much of the roots as possible. I know the Java Fern and Anubias need to be tied down to a rock, but I wasn't sure about the Crypt. When I got it, it looked very healthy, even had a little baby plant growing from it. While rinsing the Crypt in my sink, the baby plant came loose and so I planted it in my substrate, too. The tiny plant seems to be doing okay, sprouted a new leaf the other day! With this one I have all of the roots buried, too.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I do not fertilize in any way. Should I by some fertilizer tablets for this plant?

Thank you very much! :)

P.S. Are rubber bands okay for tying down a plant? It's the only thing that would hold... fishing line slipped right off and string popped off, too.

How long has it been in the tank Mandy? Crypts are very sensitive to moves and can melt down when they are moved. So long as everything is ok, they will come back wonderfully after the meltdown period. Given that your other plants sound as if they are doing so well, I tend to think this is the problem. Crypts will thrive in similar conditions as thriving java ferns :)

Hm.. good question.
I just checked a receipt I found from when I bought the plants, and I have had the Crypt for 25 days now.
So, should I be fertilizing? Also, I will try to get some pics up soon, because I heard something about a rhizome in plants? Not sure what that is, but I heard it should not be buried?

Crypts don't have a rhizome, so that isn't the issue. I am guessing something caused it to melt, and it will come back.

For fun... What wattage is the bulb (is it single bulb?)? Is it a T8 florescent?

If it was a nutrient deficiency, the whole plant would not have melted down. You would have seen more subtle signs of macro or micro nutrient imbalances. It is either inadequate lighting, or crypt melt. Given that the baby crypt is growing, I am guessing the bigger plant is just suffering from crypt melt, and will come back after the die off. They are great plants, but sometimes if you just look at wrong, say give it the stink eye or something, it will melt :).

Back
Top Bottom