Crystal Clear Silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all
Is there such a thing as crystal clear silicone? All the silicone I have seen dries translucent. I need some that will dry crystal clear for something aesthetic.

Thanks,
Matt

no, silicone is translucent & soft & rubbery.

If you want perfectly clear seams, you would need to go with acrylics & do a chemical weld. Properly done, the seams are totally invisible, but it is difficult to get that result. <I've never achieve that in my dabbling .... but there are professional jobs I've seen that are near perfect.>

Yeap, I actually found that Liquid Nails makes a silicone alternative that is crystal clear. Works great for what I need, just takes FOREVER to harden such that the tackiness is minimal.

Its not for aquarium use, it was for something else. I got ahold of a beta light (tritium vial) and wanted to encase it in an acrylic tube for some ruggedness. (Beta lights are made from fragile class and will break, releasing the H3 gas and the light is done).

Works alright. A bit difficult to "inject" in the tube, but got the job done. :)

Matt

Back
Top Bottom