Crystal Clear Water??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavemadaMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking around and seeing all of these stunning planted tanks with crystal clear water. I got my first ever fish tank a few months ago and I made it a planted tank my tank is completely cycled, all my water parameters are at zero, I have activated carbon, a bio-wheel on an emperor filter, play sand as my substrate, only three fish, and dual T5NO light fixture. What in the world can I do to get the water really clear?? This is my second post about water clarity but I just can't seem to get it!

I'd really like it if the cloudiness could go away. Oh and it's not green water, it's a white cloud with quite a bit of minute, but visible particulate matter. Can it even be done or am I just not that lucky? Lol please help

If it's not a bacterial bloom then I'd try a micron filter for water polishing. I've noticed that my tanks with playsand tend to be cloudier than others, not sure if its related to the playsand or not, but it may be a factor. Whether it is from suspended particles (should clear up with a micron filter) or possibly just because of how light the substrate is, reflecting the light could make it appear more cloudy than it would with a dark substrate. (just guessing)

The stock Marineland filter cartridges leave a lot to be desired. Try packing one of the media cages full of polyfil and see if your water clarity improves.

BigJim said:
The stock Marineland filter cartridges leave a lot to be desired. Try packing one of the media cages full of polyfil and see if your water clarity improves.

+1 for poly-fil.

I use it in all my tanks to some degree and it's amazing how much gunk it collects. When it fills up, I toss it and put a new wad in and never have a mini cycle (BB).

So I can just fill my marineland emperor filter's media basket with this poly-fill and it works like a micron filter?

Back
Top Bottom