Crystal Clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davekyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Other than using carbon in a stocking can anyone else recommend a way to remove stain. Its costs me $15.00 a pop for the carbon (stocking meathod) treatment only only lasts so long. I thought eventually my drift wood, would ease up on releasing the stain it does (Yes I did soak it for 48Hours with rock salt).

Its been 3-4 Months. I also have internal bio filter and thing the bio rock might be giving of some red stain.

Originaly I did not mind the stain but would like to try clearing the water
Is there any chemical treatment that wont hurt the fish?

Avoid chemical treatments as most will do more harm than good. You could try taking the wood out and boiling it a few times. This will release the tanins a lot faster than just soaking it does. Different types of woods will release tanins for different lengths of time. You probably just ended up with a piece that has a lot more tanins in it than others. There will probably always be some tanins being released into the water, but hopefully by boiling it you'll get it to a level that isn't all that noticeable.

Depending on your schedule for water changes, it might be that stepping up the water changes so that they are larger or more frequent will also help. I'd say at least 20% weekly would be a good idea reguardless, and you could change even more than that if desired. I have planted tanks, so I actually end up changing the water 50% weekly with very happy plants and fish as a result.

excellent suggestion and info,
hey look at the bright side, darker water means less light, means less algae.
I think it can also look quite good in a southern/central american biotype.

Purrbox gave some great advice. Boiling it for a few hours, changing the water out with freshwater every hour or so, will help immensely. Then it will just fade over time.

I'm not sure if this will work for the stuff thats coloring your water, but ever month or two I add some "Crystal Clear" water additive that helps the stuff in the water get caught in the filter.

When I first setup my new tank downstairs and had cloudy sand water, it cleared it up in a matter of hours.

Thanks guys,
I’ve been worried about water changes as I thought it might upset the balance of my Bio system. I originally purchased the internal bio system so I would not have to do water changes. Having said that, I did change the water occasionally (only 10%) and found it was helping. Also I get worried about changing to much water because of the temps ect… But guess I could doing it very slowly as I have been doing in my smaller tank.

There is so much to consider to get things right. Anyways they all sound like very interesting ideas and I’m sure one of them is for me. Yes I agree, I’d like to give the chemical treatment a miss as all the fish are so darn happy as it is.

I was thinking of adding another filter specifically for clarity. Maybe when I remove the bulk of décor for gravel cleaning I’ll try the boiling method also.

you can safely change 50% of the water per change per day in an established tank. Just make sure you use a dechlor and you'll be good.

Davekyn said:
TI’ve been worried about water changes as I thought it might upset the balance of my Bio system. I originally purchased the internal bio system so I would not have to do water changes. Having said that, I did change the water occasionally (only 10%) and found it was helping. Also I get worried about changing to much water because of the temps ect… But guess I could doing it very slowly as I have been doing in my smaller tank.

There is so much to consider to get things right. Anyways they all sound like very interesting ideas and I’m sure one of them is for me. Yes I agree, I’d like to give the chemical treatment a miss as all the fish are so darn happy as it is.

I was thinking of adding another filter specifically for clarity. Maybe when I remove the bulk of décor for gravel cleaning I’ll try the boiling method also.

Purr gave excellent advice on the boiling. That most likely is what it is, and then it should have VERY little in the next month. Also, about the other filter. I know you have a 70 gallon tank right now, what is your gph of your current filter, and what gallon rating is it for? You might need a little extra, or you might be good. Even though filters are sold as "never do water changes", you always will have to. Unfortunately, to get the best water, both in clarity, and chemicals/minerals, you need fresh water on occasion. Some tanks can go 3 weeks without changes, some need it twice a week. It all depends on planted/unplanted, heavily stocked, lightly stocked, type of fish, etc.
You shouldnt have to change yours that often, but a 20-30% change every 10 days-couple weeks would probably be a good start for you :)

So, homework- find your rating for your filter, and we can tell ya if you should/can get another :) We are Filterphobics here, so the answer will probably be, yes.

Kewl sorry I took my time getting back,

Someone else said it was 70 Gallon as well. The guy in the fish shop recons its 50, so I figured he must be taking into acount the decor and 1-2 inch gap below the lids. (48"/18"/18") just on memory at this point the powerhead is 1800-2000 lph. He also recons not to change the water as is bio filter, but I tend to go along with what your saying.

The tank is maxed population wise:
9 neons
9 Glowlights
6 Rummynose
10 Zebra Danio's
5 Bristle-Nose (consistintly Breeding)
I was hoping to put either 3-4 clowns of yo-yo's for snail control but have not as yet.

Here is a picture of Tank...Keep in mind my camera sucks big time and makes the tank look worse than it is (Its actually brighter than in pic but water could still be clearer all the same)
The fish have no probs, I just think the plants might get more light and it would look a little better is all.

So by all means, please keep the info comming guys, much apprecieated:)

[/img]

Attachments

• catfish-tetra_tank_152.jpg
    catfish-tetra_tank_152.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 41
  • dont_worry_the_table_is_steel_reinforced__lol_720.jpg
    dont_worry_the_table_is_steel_reinforced__lol_720.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 41
Nice looking tank. :)

I would still follow Purrbox's advice. Take the wood out and boil it for a few hours, changing out the water as is needed. Then do a water change. Your discoloration should go away in no time then.

Roget that, Ive decided on my next gravel clean thats what I'm doing.
Thanks again
Dave

Boiling will alow the driftwood to release tannins much faster. You will need to do it several times, when the water gets dark, change it out and boil again. Nice looking tank. :)

I had a problem with my wood in my tank. Two of the smaller pieces where from the LFS and the 2 larger pieces where from the beach. The two smaller pieces where not a problem but the large ones where. Before I placed the large pieces in my tank scrubbed them with a bristle brush and hosed them off. I then soaked them in bleached for a week and repeated the scrubbing with a bristle brush and hosing it off. I then soaked it in water with dechlor for a week and hosed it off again. After placing all the wood in my tank the water eventually became tea colored after a month. This was with 25-30% weekly water changes, so I tried charcoal, didn’t work. I ended up doing very large water changes, 50-75%, and after two three weeks of this the water turned clearer. As already mentioned you can boil the wood but I would also suggest larger weekly water changes (50%) for a month or so to clear up your water. If it occurs again later on in the future do the larger water changes. The larger water changes is probably the cheapest and easiest way to clear up you water with out using chemicals. Also your fish will thank you for it.

Looks like you have some teawater. This isnt nesscessarily a bad thing. To my knowledge it doesnt hurt the fish. The driftwood may actually of been the cause of the teawater. Some people actually prefer the look of this. You however dont seem to be one of them... obviously

There are several methods to clear the water. Activated Carbon is one of the methods which you mentioned. When I had teawater I used activated carbon. Mine did not take as long as yours though, mine cleared up in a matter of a week or so. However I also used mine in conjuction with water changes. I usually do 10% water changes weekly. If there is a problem with my tank at the time of the water change I will usually do a large 50% water change and then in 2 weeks I'll do a 20% water change then I continue with my 10% weekly water changes.

A polishing filter (diatom filter) is also good for such problems. Diatom filters also soften water to my knowledge. I could be wrong about that though. So Maybe someone else can disprove or verify that comment to me. So make sure your fish would be alright in soft water. I dont kno much about the GH stuff. I just know my fish do fine with the spring water I do my water changes with.

Good luck with that problem. If i were you I would just lighten the water but not get it crystal clear, but it is all personal preference! Good luck buddy!

Back
Top Bottom