Curing driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
K, I found some driftwood in a creek I cleaned with a wire brush and let it dry out completely, now I've been soaking it for about a week in tap water, just changed the water so how often should I change it and what else should I do to it

If you can boil it or pour boiling water on it. A little extra insurance there is nothing lingering on the driftwood.

Your Driftwood Question

K, I found some driftwood in a creek I cleaned with a wire brush and let it dry out completely, now I've been soaking it for about a week in tap water, just changed the water so how often should I change it and what else should I do to it

Hello D...

You don't need to go to too much work getting the piece tank ready. I've collected several local pieces along the river areas around my place and I just rinse them well with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. Then, leave the piece out in the sun for a few hours. This time of year, the heat and rays of the sun will kill any bacteria left from the rinse.

B

You may be looking between two to three weeks before u can put it in your tank if the piece floats. It took me that long on a small piece. Change the water everyday because the wood can catch fungus if you don't change the water. Hot water is best since it penetrates thru the wood faster. Your goal is to soak the inside of the wood so it could stay down in your gravel.

BOIL, BOIL, BOIL. There are parasites and other no-goods lurking in collected wood.

Plus, it helps remove excess tannins.

Back
Top Bottom