curing ich with salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought api salt today and i nees advice on how to treat my tank with it help please

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

i bought api salt today and i nees advice on how to treat my tank with it help please

It's not just the Salt, you need to increase the water temp too.
Start with a 50% PWC then do a 20% PWC every day.
Then increase the water temp. by 2 degrees a day until it reaches 86 degrees. Keep it at 86 for ten days.
Now for the salt, the standard is 1 Tablespoon per 5g water. Depending on what type of fish you have and how bad their ick is, you can adjust it. For delicate fish use a little less. For a bad case of ick or a hardier fish add a little more.
So good water, higher temperatures, API Salt and lots of good wishes.
I hope this is what you needed.
Lots of luck to you, ick is a pain.

i looked they didnt have anny all they had was ich attack and ot didn't lookk trust worthy

@wendi my tank is up to 84 i just bought salt today not going to be home till tmrw i have 4 neon tetra a fire dg marimo alge ball anacharis and soon to be added anubias

Salt will not work on it's own. You need heat above 86F. You also will need extra aeration at that temp.

Do you have any scaless fish in the tank? You should not use salt if you do.

The most common dosage I've seen recommended is a tbsp per 5 gallons. Personally I don't use salt in my tanks.

@zagz read post above yours its my currnt stockk list i also have a 4" airstone tht runs 24/7

Listen to what these guys are telling you. I trust the ich attack, it's helped me battle my ich numerous times, and my little guys are still alive and swimming! Definitely do the daily PWC's and the other posters recommendations for salt. As I said on the last post I'd never used it before, and wasn't sure on the dosage. Vacuum your gravel a lot, but not all at once, as this helps get the stuff out of the gravel. Over vacuuming can cause a loss of beneficial bacteria, and possibly a loss of fish.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
also its a 15g tank if i forgot to mention

If you use heat and salt, you should (need to) remove your plants, the high salinity will kill them. In the link I posted, they're specific that the salt/heat cure is for fish with scales only. Scaleless fish should be cured with something like QC. Any comments on this would be helpful.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Mr. Limpet said:
If you use heat and salt, you should (need to) remove your plants, the high salinity will kill them. In the link I posted, they're specific that the salt/heat cure is for fish with scales only. Scaleless fish should be cured with something like QC. Any comments on this would be helpful.

al my fish have scales so im good there if i remoeove the plants idk where to put them

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
al my fish have scales so im good there if i remoeove the plants idk where to put them

I use a clear (semi-opaque) container from target to keep my extra plants in. I do a PWC ever couple day and use an air stone once in a while to keep the water from getting stagnant. I keep it by a window that gets sunlight and everything grows pretty good.

I think the salt+heat method will be fine. Daily water changes with a good thorough gravel vac are a necessity though IMO. This helps remove the parasite from the substrate. The plants will most likely be fine. You're not putting in enough salt to really do much anyways. If they do start to look like they're suffering, just put them in a clear container in front of a window until you're finished treating the tank.

I don't do meds in my tanks. I have never used them and never will. Melafix and Pimafix are the only exception, but since they're all natural extracts, I don't consider them a med anyways.

Back
Top Bottom