Curing ICK in a planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help!

My tank's a mess! Almost every fish in my tank have ick! Especially the poor little neons.

The ick kinda just grew? Cz i havent purchased any new fish recently.

My fishes are: neon tetras, teenager betas, red tail shark, balloon mollies, guppies.

My plants are: cabomba, java moss, amazon swords, anacharis, micro swords, ludwigia, anubias.

I dont have a heater nor do i have an intention to buy one. I live in the philippines with tropical weather. Im doing 30% water changes.

-should i do the 1tsp salt per galon or will that kill my plants and fish?

-can i add methyln blue? I dont care about the staining

-what else can i do? Can i scrape the ick off? Guess thatll kill my fish thru stress.

Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you had a heater you could treat simply by increasing the temperature to 30C.

Salt will kill your plants.

I recommend malachite green as an ich treatment.

Don't scrape it off. Ich manifests under the skin so if you manage to scrap it off you've torn holes in their skin.

Also, it seems from your post history this is a 20 gallon? That's too small for a red tailed shark, and your betta and red tailed shark will not get along for long.

Ich can be transfered from substrate, decorations, plants, and fish.

Yea i want a heater but have money issues right now plus i dont even know where i can buy it in my country.

Il def check malachite green. Hopefully they have if in the store.

And no worries those teenager betas will be moved to their individual containers soon since i got so mad when i witnessed one eat a newly born balloon molly. And the red tail shark is just temporarily there, right now its just about the same size as my guppy. Very cute very small.

Any other home remedies for ich?

I hate to say it but everything in your tank will eat baby mollies. Even the adult mollies. The only way to keep them safe is to have them separate.

The best home remedies for ich are heat and salt. Aside from that I don't know any.

I hate to say it but everything in your tank will eat baby mollies. Even the adult mollies. The only way to keep them safe is to have them separate.

The best home remedies for ich are heat and salt. Aside from that I don't know any.

No worries i seperated the surviving babies maybe 20 of them.

So i cant get away with just a few salt? And or methylyn blue?

You can use methyl blue but I never found it to be especially effective. I wouldn't use salt at all with plants.

Same here. I can never get plants used to much salt.

MG / formalin ich treatments should be readily available and should be pretty cheap as a common treatment.

MG by itself will work. The combination of the two is said to be more effective.

Do a water change before adding meds as a high organic load in tank will soak up the meds before they can be effective.

MB is not quite so effective but more gentle and has some other benefits. I have swapped to a general cure that included MB in final treatment just to prevent any secondary fungal infections.

Last edited:
Okay thank you so much guys! I don't know what id do without u. Hehe

Back
Top Bottom