Curly finned half moon betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isadora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just wondering wether or not my new half moon betta has a problem with fin curling or he just naturally has these type of fins. Thanks for any information

A picture would really help out because it is kind of hard to understand your view of curly fins.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I'm sorry I tired to post a video, here's a pic.

I am trying, it's attaching put isn't posting. I'm super new here my apologies

Try to make a video on youtube and send the link or upload it on an image hosting website and send the link here if youre having issues:)

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

I uploaded a few photos to an album on my profile of him,if anyone could take a look and give me some feedback that would be awesome.

Yes, they have been curled like this since I bought him 2 days ago. I've looked at all different types of bettas and haven't found a single one with this type of fins. I have also researched fin curling but it didn't seem to be as drastic of a curl, like he has. His little front fins are completely turned inward as well. It's quite confusing as he is not acting stressed and all his color has come back from being transported, he's eating fine as well.:confused:

It could just be the way he is, but, I dunno. :/ Does it ever straighten out as he is swimming or resting? I don't think it is normal, but I could be wrong.. I'll bow out now and let some people that are more experienced answer :)

I am not able to view a picture, but hard water can cause the fins to curl. My crowntail had very, very curly fins when I purchased him. After about a month with me, they began to straighten. He now has normal looking fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh i definitely understand what youre talking about now! Yes it is quite normal mine too has curled fins and ive had multiple ones hes actuslly my first curled finned one he came to me like that. Nothing to worry about its actually pretty cool!

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Sorry for inconvenience, pictures of him are in my profile albums. I've heard that happens with crown tails, the only confusing thing is that he's a half moon and dosent really have any edges that could curl so his fins as wholes are curling. Maybe he is just different than others, thanks for the help guys! His PH is fine as of now, not sure how good his water was with the fish shop. Maybe I'll see a difference in a few days.

Oh i definitely understand what youre talking about now! Yes it is quite normal mine too has curled fins and ive had multiple ones hes actuslly my first curled finned one he came to me like that. Nothing to worry about its actually pretty cool!

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Oh wow! That's great, super stoked to hear that! Really eases my mind. :thanks:

It is a bit strange for a halfmoon. Sometimes age can have a hand in it, other times it's water quality. I'm on the app so I can't see a picture, but continue with consistent water changes and a good high protein diet. As long as his behavior hasn't changed and there is no sign of fin rot, he should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom