Curly tipped Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YuccaPatrol

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some very nice and interesting Java Fern that has branching tips to its leaves. I've read about it but had never seen it before.

Does it produce baby plantlets at the tips like my regular Java Fern?

I got a fantastic deal at Petco. They had bunches of it that were attached (rubber band) to pieces of driftwood for $5.99. The cashier could not match up the number in his register, and although I told him the price, I got it for $1.99.

When I got home, I inspected it and found that there were about 10 2 inch pieces of rhizome bundled together and attached to the wood. I removed this big clump of rhizome pieces because none of them were actaully attached by the roots and I did not think they should be crammed together like that.

Now I have 10+ excellent pieces to attach to wood and rocks in my aquariums.

Wow, what a steal! Sounds like the Windelov variety, and I'm pretty sure they propogate in the same fasion!

Yes, sounds like the Windelov variety. Mine also came in a clump, tho I never seperated them, just tied them as is to a peice of wood where it promptly did nothing for 1 year until I added some Co2 and higher light.

I got a huge, beautiful chunk of Windelov from Travis a while back. It's constantly putting off babies.

Thank you all. I may go back and see if I can get more, just for the nice little chunks of driftwood as much as for the fern itself.

Java Fern and Anubias seem to be the plants that do best in my aquariums. Nobody eats them and they just seem to go on and on even if they do grow slowly.

My Bala sharks would eat the windelov.. they pick it's lacey parts off.. but they seem to leave it alone now that it's growing again (and at a good pace too)

What you have is almost certainly the Windelov/lace variety of Java fern. Bundle the rhizomes together with a rubber band or other attachment on a piece of wood or rock, stick it in a nice calm spot in your tank, and leave it alone. In a month or two you will have roots stuck to the anchor piece and it will be propagating. This is one plant that does best when you just set it and forget it. Very easy to grow and prolific.

Back
Top Bottom