Current loving fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wickeded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some otocinclus', mollies, guppies, and black neon tetras in a 30gal tank, and am wondering whether a powerhead is a good idea or not. I just have a powerhead lying around and would like to put it into use if that's ok with my fish selection-

Thanks!
WE

As long as you're not blowing your fish around like crazy, it will be fine. You will probably see your fish swim in the current too...or you could give the powerhead to me.

What is BGK? (sorry)

I tried it out last night and.. seems mollies and guppies are swimming hard against the current, almost seem that they're enjoying it.

The Black Neon Tetras are schooling more I think, but the Otos and more or less hiding. Quite interesting change of behaviors for the time being.

I'm wondering whether it's okay to turn the power head on and off by hooking it up with the timer for my lighting? Would that be stressful? Just wondering- For now I am just leaving it on all day.

A BGK is a Black Ghost Knife. Other current loving fish include Hillstream Loaches and quite a few top-dwellers, if I'm not mistaken.

Having a timed PowerHead would be OK. Most fish I've encountered with large flowing tails (Guppies, Bettas) don't like the current, but everyones situation is different.

Back
Top Bottom