current/turbulence vs turnover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFantastic74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 12 gallon with a betta and some neon tetras. Both species struggled with the current generated by my HOB filter until I solved the problem by placing a piece of filter foam at the out flow (waterfall). Now there is just a minute rippling in the water surface, and I don't see any sway in my plants (including floating plants) at all. The fish seem much happier now.

My question is how much does reducing current affect the turnover of water in the tank? By reducing the current am I also reducing the efficiency of the filter? Am I creating dead spots? Should I do something else instead?

Also, will this adversely affect the oxygenation of the water? I have a limewood "air stone" that produces a beautiful flow of tiny bubbles, but I doubt that this will improve the oxygenation much. Before you mention that I have plants in there, I only have silk ones, not real; I haven't had much luck with real plants.

It should be fine.

My brother had the same issue and use a pantyhose to slow the flow down a bit.

Caleb

That's reassuring. I was just worried about water quality going down, because it seems every time I tinker with something, I end up with more problems. I guess that's the way it is with aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom