Curses, icestorm..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its been a long time since I posted in this forum. I just really haven't had anything to say and have been too busy in real life to help others here on a regular basis. Its been over 8 months since I last lost a fish (Well, one was lost, but it was due to aggression, not disease or anything).

So, many of you might have heard of that little icestorm that hit the south? It took out our power several times Saturday night, and once on Sunday. Each time I'd check the tanks quickly just to make sure everything looked good, heaters were working, pumps were pumping, etc.

Because of heating issues in our apartment, we were sleeping out in the den/living area instead of our bedroom, because of the gas powered fireplace. My 90 gallon planted tank that has survived for so long (Though never really much of a plant tank, more of an algae ranch that requires constant cleaning because I can't find a good algae eater around here) is in my bedroom though.

To cut to the story, I always checked to make sure I could hear the pump going, etc. Its the only tank I have a cannister filter on so since I was really trying to sleep I just ducked in and listened for it, cause the lights were out. I heard it running and heard some water stirring (It was a tad low), so went to bed.

Well. I got busy and kind of ignored that tank for the next two days beyond feeding. Tuesday I get a call from the wife that something ain't right with the air in the bedroom. I get home, smells a bit odd, but I have to do some other stuff before I can look at it.

Finally get around to looking at it... And discover that the filter never fully recovered. It was running and had water in it, but wasn't creating any flow, and without the filtering the power head had eventually clogged.

I lost all 5 clown loaches, 4 green tiger barbs, my last two 'survivor' neon tetras, 1 serpai tetra, 1 glo-lite neon, and an unknown number of cories (I can never find and count them all anyways...)

Survivors include the other 6 serpai tetras, Spike the Angel Fish, an unknown number of cories (Still can't manage to count them), 2 glo-lite tetras, Stumpy the Stunted Rainbow Shark (He's over a year old but only two inches with a "humped" back, I rescued him from Petsmart. He's survived all my beginner mistakes), and surprisingly, my 2 remaining otos. Also surviving is the paradise gourami.

Needless to say, I was quite angry about this. I'm not always happy with that tank, my efforts at making a planted tank have been some what... stunted.. But nothing has died in over 8 months and the water parameters have been good and stable forever. All of that gone cause I didn't double check that stupid cannister filter.

I gave the whole thing a good cleaning, pump and piping, and got it set back up and running with no issues. A water change and a day later and the tank is crystal clear again.

It just makes me so angry though. I liked my clown loaches in particular. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point, whether to restock or maybe move them into a smaller tank and do something else with this one. I've got plenty of plants in there still though, and all the tank really needs is a good algae controller (I've been trying forever to get a bristlenose pleco).

As soon as I manage a head count on the cories, I'll try to decide what I want to do.

Wow, that sucks. :( Sorry to hear it. Shame it's so cold right now. I could help you out with a bristlenose. We have them everywhere here for 5 bucks each. If you haven't found one by spring, let me know. I'll pick up one to have around just in case. Can never have to many bristlenoses.

That really does suck ferret. Cannister filters need to have flowing water or the bacteria die in a short time from oxygen starvation. Merely turning the filter on will only release toxins into the tank. Most people are not aware of this.

I'm sure you'll come through this and restock your tank again. IMO, there is no algae eating fish which can really handle keeping a tank clean. I've found the only realistic solution is to limit the amount of time the lights are on.

sorry to hear that ferret...and i understand how u feel about the clowns...
well, u get to plan things again...that ought to give u a little joy...

:cry: Oh no!! Aside from those losses--how is every one else including your mammal friends. My degus send their support.

Attachments

• degus.jpg
    degus.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 240
All other tanks are going well, though minor algae problems in the two african cichlid tanks (I haven't found anything to take up the job that they won't beat up)

The oscars are still growing, but I think they're going to be maxed out soon until I can get them a bigger tank. The convicts never fight any more and are almost fully grown. I lost one Tropheus to aggression but the other 12 are maturing and almost all have their strips now.

The gerbils are busy eating all the credit card offers I get and making them into nests. They're almost 3 years old now.

Spaz the cat is.. well.. Spaz the cat. Nuff said. He has a new favorite bottle cap that he plays with.

The gerbils are busy eating all the credit card offers I get and making them into nests. They're almost 3 years old now.
Oh man!! Why did I waste money on a paper shredder!!!

ferret, I'm so sorry about your beautiful fish :cry:
I know how upset you are over this, but you're a good fishkeeper. You'll figure out what to do, whether to restock this tank or try something new with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom