Custom Bowfront Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know of a company that sells hoods for bowfronts or a DYI plan to build a bowfront hood?? My aquarium will be in my living room and I am trying to cut down on excess light and make sure that none will be lost outside the tank. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

what size? i have yet to find one for a 46 bow that is wood. they make them for the 72 and up. but i had to make my own for my 46. it was a lot of work bowing the wood but it turned out really nice.

Mines a 29gallon bowfront. I was worried that I was going to have to bow out wood to get it done. Did you go from scratch or was there a set of plans tha tyou used?

you can make a jig for the front of you tank using sone thin mdf. Trace the top of the tank and cut with a jig saw. That way you get the same radius. Then cut two more out of mdf. This now gives you a mold to bend the wood to the correct radius and to clamp to while gluing up the hood. If you have a band saw you can cut 1/8" strpis of wood and laminate the curve easier than just bending 1/2" wood. Use a plastic resin glue and the water splash won't harm the joints and cause them to releas the layers.

I emailed warorks and told him I do cad drafting and woodworking so I have the knowledge and tools to help design something if you ever need. Let me know If I can help make some plans for you or anything else. Good luck on your endevor.

Back
Top Bottom