Custom Clay Decorations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlecoDeMayo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently enrolled at a college that has a high fire kiln that I have access to. I'm taking a ceramics class and have access to making whatever I want! I'm in the works of making something for my goldfish to have but I can do custom works. If you want me to make you something, post it here or PM me the details so I can see if it's feesable. Not sure on shipping yet. This is more of a testing the waters post.

I hope someone comes by to help, but I would think that unglazed clay would add beneficial nutrients. I have some broken pots in my planted tank. It would also make a great mount for moss.

As far as making something... I would love something that looked like the base/root of a tree, that went all the way to the surface, to cover the intake tube of my filter, possibly big enough for a heater too.

Also I think coral would be fun to try, and even if it broke, it would still look good.

I tend to stay away from Divers and bubbling treasure chests, but there is obviously a market for those.

I too would like something that looked like a tree. As a Mount for moss in aquascaping. Just a tree with branches so I can plant leaves.

I do agree about the clay though, i'm not sure about it leaching anything, depending on the clay. That would be something to test. Glazing it and seeing if it spikes anything would also be good to test. I would just gor fire a pinchpot or two and test first before tossing it in with your goldfish. :)

How would I test it before putting it in the water? Put it in a seperate bucket of sorts?

Trees are doable! How big would people usually want them? Really tall things would be expensive to ship but I can do them if people are willing to pay the shipping!

Should I make one or two and put them on ebay to see how well they sell? I can post the links here if I'm allowed :D

i'd just put a seperate bucket with an airstone and test for anything and everything. see if you get an increase in anything.

There's a lot of really pretty aquascaping that makes driftwood look like trees. it would be nice to have it custom. I'd personally like one about a foot and a half if I've measured right :)

Wow I was thinking about the same type of thing when I passed by a ceramic shop on my way home a few nights ago.

I know terra cotta is OK in tanks.... not sure what is in "regular" pottery clay and the glazed/unglazed plaster of paris type stuff that go into ceramic molds.

Back
Top Bottom