Custom tank finally set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
been working on this for about a month.

DIY 3d background and DIY plants.

3d background is made of styrofoam and painted with Behr masonry and basement waterproof paint.

plants are fake plants bought from a craft store. i glued them to pieces of PVC pipe and then filled the pipe with gravel to weight it down.

substrate is playsand

let me know what you think.

img_1126026_0_55ddfef78eaeb285b8f2519c14bff64e.jpg

it looks gorgeous! i love how you scaped it, is that rock or driftwood in the middle?? and i like the bubbles in the gap in the background. very cool

and i don't know much about the materials you used but i'm assuming you made sure it was all aquarium safe. the only thing that would worry me is the paint, but like i said, i don't know much about what you can/can't use (which is why i normally buy things that are "made" for aquariums, although i'm thinking about doing a DIY cave of some sort..)

the paint is water based and non toxic. just like drylok.

thats driftwood in the middle

for the background i followed a tutorial on youtube but instead of cement i used the waterproof paint

It's ok I guess... it would look soooooooooo much better if it were set up in my living room tho! :p

In all seriousness, that is FREAKING AMAZING!!! :)

Looks good. Did the back ground sink right away? Just curious because it is styrofoam.

Erm, wouldn't oil-based paint be safer because it would be less likely to mix with the water? I know nothing about this- what's safe and what's not safe paint for an aquarium?

Great design and layout!!!!!!

Erm, wouldn't oil-based paint be safer because it would be less likely to mix with the water? I know nothing about this- what's safe and what's not safe paint for an aquarium?

Great design and layout!!!!!!

this is water based.... meaning when it cures, the water base evaporates and leaves just the paint.... and its waterproof paint.

its perfectly fine. fish have been living in there for a few days with no problems

Back
Top Bottom