Custom tank idea for red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Straick85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wanting to do a shrimp only tank for red cherry shrimp, but my mind keeps going back to what has happened everytime I've tried in the past. They end up getting killed by the filter.
So, I think I might have an idea for a solution that I wanted to run by you all.
I have a 10 gallon tank, and was thinking of building an integral filter(following standard sump filter layout) for the tank. Along the back tank wall, would be the filter. A surface skimmer style overflow, which would run down through filter sponges, and then either a small fluidized bed filter or standard ceramic bio media that it would flow up through, before getting to the pump chamber, where the heater would also reside.
My thought is that if they somehow get past the surface overflow, they'll be sitting on the filter sponge waiting to put back into the main tank area, so no one would be able to make it to the pump. Do you all think that this wouls work or am I chasing my tail?
Thanks in advance?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

102018-albums14463-picture70335.jpg

The plastic box with coarse gravel filled. initiate in the glass tube air.
The water is sucked and filtered into the gravel. On top of the thick pipe it comes out again.
Small shrimp are not sucked.

I've used air driven filters in the past, but I never did like how they looked.
I should have said, but part of the goal with this idea is to completely hide the support equipment (heater and filter) for aesthetic reasons.

Look up Hamburg Matten filter. Basically it is a "wall of foam" either along the back of the tank, one side, or in a corner. Behind it is an area for a heater, pump, etc. These can be air driven or a water pump or canister can be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You see only the pipe. Before the box can be a stone laying or driftwood.
But the advantage is you can see through the plastic box, whether dirt between the stones is.
After 2 weeks is cleaned. The long thin glass tube by pulling it upwards. Wash the box with hopper and gravel exiting into a bowl, and in the bath with lukewarm water. The broth is dark. It was worth it.
All deposits of phosphate and nitrate in this dirt. Then the values are back to normal.

Looked up the Hamburg Matten, and I like the idea (especially the not needing to do heavy filter cleanings). My only concern is the constant reference to a specific brand of foam. Would there be an equivalent that could be gotten on a more local level (I prefer to support the LFS's as much as possible)?

I do unerstand how a airlift filter works, and have used them during extended power outages (small air pumps are easier on inverters than canister or hob filters), but I never did like the look or performance of them with live plants.

Would it work, maybe. But, now we are back to ordering online, which I am not a fan of. Something like that, I prefer being able to take a good look at in person before I buy it.
This idea has morphed from just a solution to shrimp being killed by the filter to how I can diy an effective, simple, shrimp safe, aesthetically pleasing in tank filter. Right now, the HMF is winning. Make the background in the tank black, and use black foam, and it should disappear, as well as being functional. I'll have to build it for testing, and then perform a bare tank fishless cycle. That way I can compare cycle time, as well as getting a baseline of biological capacity.

I don't know what foam would work best for a DIY HMF in terms of pores per inch and rigidity. Pretty sure someone has figured that out though (insert Google search...).
One thing I don't like about the HMF is when you do have to maintenance. Not sure how often this would occur, though. Lifting it out of the tank can release a lot of the trapped waste. I've heard of using the siphon as a vacuum to clean the sponge's surface during water changes helps to reduce the buildup. Retrieving the critters from the "forbidden zone" prior to putting the sponge back can be a chore.
I don't use an HMF. Instead, I use a small cylindrical sponge (I believe it is for a Fluval internal filter) over the HOB filter intake. Safe for shrimp of all sizes. Small, blends into a black background. I rinse it out every 1-2 weeks. A lot of shrimp and snail waste gets trapped in it. I figure it is an easy way to remove physical waste before it has a chance to completely break down. I use hot tap water because I don't want to promote a breeding ground for the BB (would rather maintain them in the filter media).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looked up the Hamburg Matten, and I like the idea (especially the not needing to do heavy filter cleanings). My only concern is the constant reference to a specific brand of foam. Would there be an equivalent that could be gotten on a more local level (I prefer to support the LFS's as much as possible)?

I do unerstand how a airlift filter works, and have used them during extended power outages (small air pumps are easier on inverters than canister or hob filters), but I never did like the look or performance of them with live plants.

102018-albums14463-picture70554.jpg

Behind the stone with the Java Moss is the airlift.
There are DC diaphragm pumps. Converters unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom